Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Takes Too Long To Boot

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
OK if they used to boot at the same speed then I will keep looking.

What I do see that is suspicious is that the Fast PC first looks at a Norton key on step 2311. The slow PC hits it at 171. I think it would be worthwhile uninstalling Norton:

Download a new install of Norton.
Download and save the norton removal tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Uninstall Symantec (save the product license key since you want to reinstall it:http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US)

Run the Norton Removal tool.

Reboot

Install Norton, put in your license.

It's possible that it's just a config setting in Norton - I refuse to use Norton so can't help you with configuration. It's also possible that Norton is not running correctly on the fast PC and that is why it is so fast. Norton is known to slow down boots.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I uninstalled Norton, and I rebooted and my system booted in 50 seconds. Not as quick, but definitely an improvement over my previous boot time with 1 min and 30 seconds.

I have yet to reinstall Norton. I will reinstall and then report back if I am booting slow again.

EDIT:

I reinstalled Norton. My system booted in 1 min instead of 50 seconds this time. Still not as bad as the 1:30 boot time but would be nice if it booted in around 30-40 seconds. Hm.

Edited by Xanster82, 26 September 2012 - 05:22 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
So are you sure that the other system's Norton is working?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah it's working. I keep it updated and run scans on both systems weekly.

EDIT:

I don't know what is going on with this computer anymore... But I decided to remove all of Norton again, then went through all files making sure every trace of Norton was gone. Then went and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and updated/scanned. All good. Restart and my boot time this time was 1 min and 15 seconds. So it has to be something else that causing the slow boot. No idea what it can be.

It went through the Microsoft loading screen rather quick, but it seemed to hang a bit after that on a black screen, and on then on the Welcome screen.

Once booted my system runs fine. Just booting up takes longer than it should.

Edited by Xanster82, 26 September 2012 - 09:16 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Alright I guess that's it then. Just wanted to thank you for all your help on this.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Norton is worse than a virus to get rid of.

Download and save the norton removal tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Run the Norton Removal tool.

Reboot

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks. I used that to remove Norton. And used it again. Still same. All traces of Norton are gone. Now just running MSE.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Make sure your firewall is working. Norton has its own and turns off the windows firewall.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yep Firewall is turned on.

Hmm.