Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC with many virus-like problems but no virus

• Please log in to reply

sethbob

sethbob

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It seems to be working much better so far, though my wife just got home and has only been using it for 15 or so minutes.

It's going to be a while before I can run Windows Repair, so I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Edited by sethbob, 22 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote from first post: "This is a laptop. Often, her fans just run like crazy, even with little CPU usage".

May I suggest that sethbob run SpeedFan or another program to check CPU temp. This is very important to the computer's stability. Also, there are computers that when overheat the BIOS lowers the CPU's speed by half, slowing the computer to a crawl.

The test should be run after at least an hour of normal or heavy usage to make sure the CPU reached maximum working temp.