Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't launch

• Please log in to reply

Timjs17

Timjs17

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I used this forum a while back and remembered how useful you guys were, so I was hoping you may be able to help me with this problem.

I while back my pc was running find, then one day i went to turn it on, and when it started booting there were blue lines going down the screen, and as the boot continued the text was illegible and seemingly a whole series of random characters. The boot continues, but after a few moments on the "starting windows" screen, the screen just goes black and then reboots.

I have no idea what may have caused this having had nothing like this before. I've attached a couple of images to show what I mean, apologies for the poor quality, they were taken from an ipad which by the way is my only access to these forums, so downloading any files etc to fix the problem may be tricky...

I'd appreciate any help and input that you may have

Kind regards,
Tim

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Advertisements

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just realised, those pictures are upside down, that's not actually how it appears....

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Can you post the computer make and model?

Thanks.

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

It's a custom build, motherboard is EVGA 780i, it has an EVGA 8800GTX acs3 card in it, 4GB OCZ DDR2 ram and two Samsung spinpoint hard drives.

Regards

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

If you have 2x2GB memory stick try with only one at the time to see if it makes any difference.

I suspect its probably the graphic card, can you test with another one?

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've got 4x1GB I'm afraid... And no spare graphics card either

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Just to confirm is this your motherboard?
http://www.evga.com/articles/385.asp

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Apologies, it's actually the 680i model

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Apologies, it's actually the 680i model

The motherboard doesn't have a on-board vga port so you will need another graphic card to test, maybe you can borrow one from a friend.

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't have anyone nearby that will have a spare card..... Do you think it may be that the graphics card has died then?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I don't have anyone nearby that will have a spare card..... Do you think it may be that the graphics card has died then?

Yes, most likely. I have only seen similar problems on machines without dedicated graphic card, the corruption occurs because of memory errors.
In my case the on-board graphics share the memory with the computer RAM and the errors result in text that didn't display properly during boot and windows crash.

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I see. Thing is it will boot into safe mode, but it still has those blue lines. I was hoping it was a software issue but I guess I need to get myself a new card....any recommendations?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I see. Thing is it will boot into safe mode, but it still has those blue lines. I was hoping it was a software issue but I guess I need to get myself a new card....any recommendations?

Can you enter the BIOS without any strange effects on the screen?

Sorry I'm not a gamer can't help you on that department.

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Erm no it's still messed up. More legible, but messed up.

Ah okay no worries, I've started a topic in another part of the forum.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Erm no it's still messed up. More legible, but messed up.

Ah okay no worries, I've started a topic in another part of the forum.

You have a powerful graphic card and they tend to get very hot, like you said on the other thread its a old card make sure the cooling fans are working properly.
When the problem is the heat the card should work fine when you first start the machine after being off for about 30 minutes or more, and will probably work for a few minutes in text mode.