Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card needed

• Please log in to reply

Timjs17

Timjs17

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi

I thnk my graphics card may have just given up so I'm in need of a new one. The card I have at the moment is an EVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 with an EVGA 680i motherboard. I'm not looking to get anything top of the range yet, just a replacement that will be as good as, if not slightly better than that card, which hopefull shouldn't be too expensive given my 8800gtx is 5 years old now....

Would appreciate any input,

Regards
Tim

Advertisements

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Forgot to add, preferably something from this website:

www.ebuyer.com

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Timjs17

So that we can make the appropriate suggestions provide us with the following information;
The maximum budget.
What the main use of the computer is, office work, gaming, web browsing as examples.
What is the brand and model name/number of the present PSU (power supply unit)
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor)

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply phil,

I've updated my specs into my profile, but just in case they're as follows.

I've got an antec 900 case, with a hiper 5th gen 730w psu.

The main use is going to be CAD work and web design as well as occasional gaming.

In terms of budget, that's not so much of an issue, all I'm looking for is a card that's a replacement for my 8800gtx. Whilst I appreciate back in its day it was one of the best cards, I'm aware how quick the industry moves so I just want something slightly better than that card as it did on occasion struggle with some of my design work. If I were to put a figure on it I'd say around the £100 mark, £150 tops.

Regards

Tim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome Tim :thumbsup:

CAD is very demanding and so you need a card that can cope £10 over your maximum budget but the best that you will get around the budget http://www.scan.co.u...nk-dvi-i-mini-h

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the link phil, looks very promising - how will that card compare to my old one in terms of performance?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Due to the improvements made in technology in the time between the release of both cards it would not be right to compare the two, what I can tell you is that the GTX 480 is ranked at #9 and the 8800 GTX ranked #131, please see the attached link http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Judging by that table, one would hope for somewhat of an improvement....

Well, many thanks for you help phil, I shall get on an order it now. It will be compatible with my motherboard and won't have any issues with my old q6600 csu slowing it down?

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
One suggestion that I would make, if you are using a 64-bit OS (operating system) as soon as you can upgrade the Ram to the maximum 8GB that the MB will accept, this will compliment the new video card.

Timjs17

Timjs17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just received and installed the new card - works a treat, much faster than the old one. Thanks for the advice phil, much appreciated :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That is great news, I am pleased that you are happy and thanks for the follow up :spoton:

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: