Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook trackpad and keyboard not responding

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
This is incredibly frustrating. I turned off my ASUS UX32VD notebook last night and this morning when I turned it neither the keyboard or touchpad are responsive. The keyboard is still lit but nothing works and I have to use an external keyboard and mouse to use it (very lucky I had them). I have tried restarting, restoring, and re-installing drivers with no luck. The only clue I have so far that I can tell is when I look at the ELAN pointing device icon, it shows a caution sign and when I go to look at the touch pad info under the mouse settings I get this, http://i.imgur.com/DFSnP.png?1
What happened? Was the touchpad and keyboard uninstalled overnight or something? I am so confused and frustrated at this point.
If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My guess is that something downloaded to your computer the wrong driver.

The Asus UX32VD is relatively new I think. In fact you will know of course, but it could indeed be only a few months old

Have you installed any program that will monitor and automatically update your drivers - they do unfortunately have a habit of choosing the wrong one sometime.

My advice is to obtain drivers ONLY from the Asus site, especially whilst it is still fully supported OR from the manufacturers site of the component - later when Asus have stopped supporting it

There are two places to go firstly the Touch pad driver you have seen, on the image you sent is the Elan Tech touchpad driver
http://support.asus......&hashedid=n/a

HOWEVER I am not certain it is the right one as the Asus site for your laptop tends to suggest it is not the Elan tech driven touchpad

http://www.asus.com/...X32VD/#download

ENSURE you configure that for your operating system please. AND indeed if you know that your model does have the ELAN, then the same on there.

I do not know where you are located and there are of course slight differences in models sold in different parts of the world.

NOW how to proceed in the first instance

Go start - windows button and programs, accessories, system tools, sytem restore - when that opens , click next (usually) and the restore point offered MUST of course be before the problem eg not yesterday

If necessary click the box show other restore points

Follow the procedure to restore and you should be back to all working.

NOTE anything installed, docs, images etc changed since that restore point will be lost so ensure you have anything necessary backed up and copied.

Then of course providing all works, you will have to ensure that you do NOT accept the update for the driver - if indeed that is what has caused this.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thank you for the reply! I took a look at the notebook's page on the ASUS website and within the downloads section under TouchPad it looks like Synaptics is the utility used for it. So I tried installing the Synaptics Touchpad driver Version V16.2.1.5 from that page and when I attempt to install it, I get the following message, "Error: Synaptics device not found!" I also noticed that another of ASUS's utilities, the power4Gear Hybrid program inexplictidly stopped working. I have however, been able to re-install that from the same page.
At this time as well, it does not look like ELAN is installed, I believe during the process of trying to re-install the ASUS Smart Gesture (Touchpad Driver) Version V1.0.24.

EDIT: some additional info, I did perform a system restore from 2 days ago and it did not help. In addition I had not installed any kind of new software yesterday.

Edited by Zook, 22 September 2012 - 06:25 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I was about to go offline when I saw your eply

I am going as soon as I have typed this

The external keyboard disables the keypad

so try this

Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the "Start" button , clicking "All Programs", clicking "Accessories", clicking "Ease of Access", and then clicking "On-Screen Keyboard" .

Then you can safely remove hardware and disconnect external keyboard

Now go device manager and look for any warnings on devices.

I would try what I said, system restore, you could spend hours trying to find the error that has caused this

If you look at system restore you may even see the restore point that was created when this occurred -

GONE
Goodnight

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I went to the extreme and did a factory reset and guess what? It's still not working!!! This is truely amazing. How it goes from working one night to completely failing overnight is beyond me. I have no other ideas aside from demanding an entire new laptop from ASUS. I am going to try to see if I can do a little more research on this but I am going to have to call ASUS and ask them about it as well. Good grief.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

but I am going to have to call ASUS and ask them about it as well

the best course of action - I am sure, especially if it is only a few months old

Clearly if a reset did not do it, then there is on the face of it a hardware error somewhere, or a BIOS error

I would NOT try anything else on such a new computer, as of course the more you try, the less the chance of a successful claim for replacement

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Yeah I don't dare attempt any hardware changes and I have tried re-installing the drivers from their site and nothing works. It's almost like something got dislodged internally or something, I honestly have no idea, never had to deal with something like this before.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK please do keep us informed.
and good luck with it

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
The BOIS got messed up. I have no idea how it happened overnight while it was OFF but whatever we deal with the cards we're dealt. I updated the BIOS to the latest and greatest, stumbled trying to turn it back on, and now everything is back to normal. I don't know if performing the complete factory wipe knocked the BIOS back an upgrade but like I said, after upgrading to the latest, everything is fine. Almost sent it back to ASUS, very glad I tried updating the BIOS again. Case closed....for now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased you found the apparent solution

jason 22

jason 22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys
This is incredibly frustrating. I turned off my ASUS UX32A notebook last night and this morning when I turned it neither the keyboard or touchpad are responsive.

It boots normally though, but then i am unable to login to get to desktop.
Asus manual says to press F9 when i restart the computer but nothing happens and goes to the windows 8 login page.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: jason 22

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered, start a new topic and we will be happy to help you there.