Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Build (new)

• Please log in to reply

ZacTheNoob

ZacTheNoob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am ordering and assembling my own gaming computer and I just want to make sure everything I want to order is compatible as I have never done this before.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL
GeForce-GTX-660Ti video card
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
RAIDMAX Seiran ATX-902WW White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Zac, Posted Image

I think your build needs some adjustments. It is heavy on the CPU/RAM (would suit a workstation build) and light on the GPU, It will work but a more balanced system would give you better performance.

User reviews for your selected case on Newegg, not good as the cons are all fairly similar, and only one washable filter on the PSU intake. Is there a particular reason for choosing this case?

If you would like some suggestions for a build, Please give us a budget.
What monitor will you be using?
Do you have a Retail licensed OS?

Edited by iammykyl, 22 September 2012 - 06:30 PM.

ZacTheNoob

ZacTheNoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
To be honest I don't plan on doing this for the next couple months, I am about to move and try and get my old job back, I am just trying to learn as much as I can and get my feet on the ground haha, just get an idea of what I am gonna need to buy, as far as what I chose I am open to any suggestions on any parts, like I said I am new to this

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK Zac, not a problem.

Will put a build up for you to consider, Can you answer the questions in Post #2?

ZacTheNoob

ZacTheNoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If you would like some suggestions for a build, Please give us a budget. around 1000, up to but no more then 1500
What monitor will you be using? Currently using my flat screen through hdmi
Do you have a Retail licensed OS? Will be getting Windows 7 Home Premium

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi
Below is a gaming rig that will give you top notch performance and a good upgrade path.

When you are settled, it would be worth looking at the available GPUs, as there will be fresh options or price drops.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iVov

Edited by iammykyl, 30 September 2012 - 06:06 AM.