Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My laptop keeps dumping to memory and providing blue screens. All relate to "Kernel" problems. I have thoroughly checked for virus/malware/trojans/hijackers, and my system is clean. I also updated the BIOS from the Dell site recently, as a result of an earlier crash. Occasionally the screen goes black and I get message "primary hard drive not present" this also shows in BIOS. However, I removed and then reseated the hard drive module and it started up again.
This is driving me crazy. Please help me before I throw this thing off the balcony :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This looks at memory dump options

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;254649

Edited by Keith, 05 June 2005 - 09:48 AM.

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmmmm! Thanks Keith. I looked at that info and just feel I'm completely out of my depth here. Any way I can have my "hand held" through this one?

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
are you getting the hard drive errors on start-up or while you're logged in?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to install this from your Windows 2000 CD or the site listed

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156280

Look at the options to create a log file then post it here

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The hard drive error always comes (when it comes) after I close down from the blue screen. What I mean is, if the blue screen comes with 000007e, I press the on/off switch to close down. On re-start, I sometimesw get the black screen "hard drive not present". I took the machine to the shop two weeks ago, and for $60 they told me there was " a loose connection between the mother board and hard drive"!Since the hard drive "slots in", I don't see how I can have a loose connection. However, yesterday when I got the black screen, I undid the hard drive by removing it and then reseating it into the slot. The system then re-booted.

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK. I've downloaded the 32bit de-bugging tool, and the "download has successfully updated". What do I do next? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The one from the Windows 2000 CD is better for this, sorry

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
here's my guess...the slot that your HD fits in, or the HD connector is bad...while you are using your comp the connection cuts out thus making your OS files inaccessable to your CPU...the comp sees this as a criticl error and thus creats a memory dump file so that your work isn't lost...it's either tyour mother board or the HD. if you have a buddy with the same comp you could pop his HD out and stick it in your comp or vice vera...that'll let you know what the problem is.
i think the guys at the shop had it right but just didn't explain it very well...maybe loose connection wasn't the right term...

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK. Thanks. I'll pop back to the shop tomorrow and see if they can rectify it. Since they sold me the hard drive..........! Thanks again for your help. Should I not now continue with the route Keith is suggesting ie windows debug?

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
go ahead and do what he suggests...i'm sure he knows more about this than i do...i'd be wary of that shop...for $60 you shouldn't be on here asking questions...you can always buy one of those HD and just return it if the problem persists...

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Keith. Tried my W2K CD but cannot access it. It tells me that I have partially installed software, close down, let software install at start, and retry. Problem is that there is no "partially installed software". :tazz: How do I start debug?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the Windows CD gives that, it thinks there are bits missing, what happens if you restart with the CD in, if nothing then get tuneup trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which takes a while and needs a reboot

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK. Done all that (nice programme). Do you want an everest log? What next?

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
;) Woke up to a blue screen again despite all of the above. Please, please help me solve this. Have to go to work now but will leave machine on to see what happens. :tazz: