Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Failure Error Message regarding Boot device

• Please log in to reply

sibsid

sibsid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. This is my first post, so let me know if more information is needed. I have an ASUS Eee PC running Windows 7 starter. Upon booting up, I got a pop-up balloon saying a hard drive on my pc reported it would fail soon. Then I got a BSOD that flashed up for just a second referening a Kernel error (sorry I don't have more details on that one), the PC then attempted to restart itself in safe mode (I think, based on the gray start up screen), and it ended in a B&W screen that says
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device <br> or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

It's a netbook so it doesn't have an internal CD drive-- will that be a problem? What kind of device does it need?
If I restart from that screen, it goes back to that error message every time now.

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts
:welcome: sibsid

If the drive is mechanically broken the following will not help as the methods are to address a damaged OS, has the HDD been acting strange or made unusual noises leading up to this?

Couple of suggestions if software, both will require the use of another computer that has internet access.
If you have a USB memory stick that has sufficient storage space follow the tutorial @ http://www.7tutorial...-recovery-tools

The second option is similar but would require the use of a USB type external DVD drive, more on this if the memory stick method is not an option.

NB: I am not suggesting the use of any other product or service offered at the above link.