Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Desktop Gaming Pc Would Love Some Help

• Please log in to reply

vinceNewbuild

vinceNewbuild

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys i just signed up for a little help
i am not a complete end user but im a little lost the new tech
i want to use pccasegear.com good price and great warranty

Thermaltake VM600M1W2Z Dokker Mid Tower Chassis $61.00

Thermaltake EVO Blue 750W $149.00

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard $249.00

Intel Core i5 3570K $235.00

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $36.00

ASUS Radeon HD7950 DirectCu II 3GB $355.00

Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $69.00

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003 $79.00

Total $1,233.00

Possible parts
Corsair Dominator Airflow Twin Fans $39.00 i have been told this is useless

Future Parts
Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS Case $419.00
a second set of Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
and a second ASUS Radeon HD7950 DirectCu II 3GB or equivalent

questions

is the mobo good? will it support dual gfx cards also the k unlocked series cpu and the 28nm gfx card?

is the gfx card good enough to (100%)max out the newest games (Day z,Arma 3,BL2,Sleeping dogs,prototype 2,skyrim,torchlight 2,bf3,Gw2)

is the psu powerful enough for this setup PLUS the LCS Case and the second gfx card and more ram plus overclocking

can i save money without sacrificing too much power/performance
will it all fit in the case(firstly Thermaltake VM600M1W2Z and eventually the Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS) and all work together i.e no compatibly issues or size issues no bottle necking

and lastly is it worth getting ASUS VE248H 24in Widescreen LED Monitor $195.00 to replace my current 40" HDTV 1080p or with this card will i not notice the difference between the monitor and the hdtv

thanks soo much for any help provided
i will read the comments tommorow as it is 3.30am and i have work tommorow and need sleep asap

Edited by vinceNewbuild, 23 September 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: vinceNewbuild

What will be the main use of the computer be, gaming, work, web browsing as examples.

Two things of note are the after market cooler and the quality/performance of the PSU.

You do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty, Intel are clear on this, see below;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

For a more stable performance you should choose a PSU that has a minimum of an 80% output efficiency rating, the Thermaltake EVO Blue 750W is rated at only 75% and an input voltage of between 650W/750W, these details are provided at your link.

vinceNewbuild

vinceNewbuild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
mostly used for gaming i will look for a more efficient psu
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=17209
has an 80 bronze cert at 85% is that better oh and thanks for your reply
also i would be great if i could get some more of my questions from my first post answered

thanks
vince

Edited by vinceNewbuild, 25 September 2012 - 05:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is a much better choice of PSU and the output is well over and above your proposed initial build, having used a PSU calculator the minimum recommended output was 522W, this was after I also included an optical drive* which is missing from your list of parts, if you are definitely going to add a second HD 7950** and a further 2X4GB of Ram you should fit a PSU with a minimum output of 850W from the start so as to avoid any further financial outlay and replacement hassles that swapping in a more powerful PSU would involve, a PSU calculator for reference http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator

* You will need a DVD drive to install your operating system***, do you have one already?
** For your intended use adding a second card would be of no particular benefit and a waste of your cash.
*** There is no OS included on your list, what will you be installing?

To answer your previous questions;

is the mobo good? will it support dual gfx cards also the k unlocked series cpu and the 28nm gfx card?

A very good MB that supports additional video cards and unlocked CPUs, see my canned speech below regarding choosing a compatible CPU and Ram for a MB;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

See the Memory/Device Support and CPU Support List tabs @ http://uk.asus.com/M...#specifications

is the gfx card good enough to (100%)max out the newest games (Day z,Arma 3,BL2,Sleeping dogs,prototype 2,skyrim,torchlight 2,bf3,Gw2)

Use google and check what the recommended system requirements are for each game you intend playing both now and for any forthcoming releases that you intend playing.

can i save money without sacrificing too much power/performance

If you tell us what your maximum budget is we can put together a list of parts that will meet your present and future requirements.

and lastly is it worth getting ASUS VE248H 24in Widescreen LED Monitor

A dedicated display does have advantages over a HDTV screen but are you sure that you will be happy swapping to a 24" display from the 40" !

I hope that you find the above helpful.

vinceNewbuild

vinceNewbuild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a older cd rw optical drive im sure will be compatible its not too old and quite a good one and i have windows 7

my maximum price cant exceed $1500 aus dollars

and the hdtv i have kind of donated to my front room i was going to get another for my pc/ps3/tv screen but am worried that the hdtv would be hard to use from 4 meters away on the couch or point blank in the computer chair so i was then thinking of just getting a pc monitor with a hdmi input/output so i can alternate between pc/ps3

you say i wont even need a second card awesome because of this i will stick with the psu i have chosen the 750w

i want to keep the after market heatsink/cooler because the stock coolers arent that great and im planing on future over clocking

i don't really understand the whole tested for mobo ram cpu... thing you tried to explain is my cpu and ram not tested for my motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

have a older cd rw optical drive im sure will be compatible its not too old and quite a good one and i have windows 7

It must be a modern SATA type DVD drive to install W7 with your MB, what type of W7 disk do you have OEM or full retail, no inference is intended in any way but please see canned text below as to why it is important that we explain software licence restrictions;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

i want to keep the after market heatsink/cooler because the stock coolers arent that great and im planing on future over clocking

Something that you may find of interest @ http://www.pcpro.co....or-overclockers

i don't really understand the whole tested for mobo ram cpu... thing you tried to explain is my cpu and ram not tested for my motherboard?

That information was provided for your future reference, the CPU is listed as supported by the MB but I did not check the Ram, I was hoping that you could check yourself :whistling:

I will put you a list of parts together to look over and will add them here by way of an edit to avoid double posting, I have noticed that video cards can be rather expensive in Australia BTW.

Here you go http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/iGJ3 built around your MB and CPU, it leaves you with $30 for an aftermarket cooler if you choose to use one.

Edited by phillpower2, 27 September 2012 - 07:25 AM.
Link to parts added