Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

photogallery.msi

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

I recently had to do a repair to my Windows XP with SP3 operating system using a SP2 CD and everything went well BUT now when I boot-up I get this window asking me to insert a CD that has photogallery.msi file on it. I know this is a HP application product that I don't use.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Run msconfig (Start / Run / type msconfig and press Enter), click on the Startup tab and look for anything related to HP Photo Gallery and uncheck it. Also check Start > All Programs > Startup.

Have you updated to SP3 then applied all updates (115 or so) on top of it? If not, you should do it ASAP.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Nothing found in "msconfig" but deleted shortcut "HP Image Zone" in Startup folder and that solved the problem.

When I go to Windows Update page and click on "express" I get an error message that page cannot be displayed. I got this same message before I solved the "photogallery.msi" problem. I would like to upgrade to SP3 but have not been able to from any of the Microsoft websites.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Download the stand alone .exe version here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Just double click on it to install.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
What version of IE are you using? Try resetting it to default then try Windows Update again, after SP3 has been successfully installed.

For IE7, see here: How to reset Internet Explorer settings
For IE8, see here: Reset Internet Explorer 8 settings

Before doing this, you could try running IE without any Add-ons active, see if that makes a difference. If yes then you can figure out which one is causing the problem by enabling them a few at a time until the problem reappears.

Click on Tools then Manage Add-ons and disable all then try Windows Update.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I've tried to install SP3, but says I don't have correct version to install. Tried resetting the IE8 version I had and Windows update website still gives the following error mesage when clicking "express install button", The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. (None of them help)

What next?

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
This should work

Download

Windows update agent

Save the download to your C drive

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce and then click OK,install WU agent

Restart the PC and try to update

good luck

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Problem Solved!

Your advice about downloading Windows Update Agent worked (without the /wuforce switch). I'm now back to running under SP3 version of XP.

I've used this website many times over the past five years to help friends and myself to correct Windos problems and I thank you very much for helping me on this one.

Have a nice day!

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
You're welcome :)