Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its probably a stoopid question but....

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i currently have an acer aspire 5315 which is no longer on the verge of meltdown, thanks to this excellent site...i realise that it is, in computer terms, a dinosaur and should be buried in my garden garden with an appropriate headstone....it runs vista home basic, which i hate
( the username kinda suggests that )....

now...and here comes the "but " from the topic title, i also have access to another lappy, also an acer but an older model, 80 gb hard drive that runs XP, which i prefer (till i can afford to upgrade to 7)..my question to whoever reads this first is...can i swap the XP drive for my vista drive...will everything work the same or or they not compatable...

unfortunately, buying a new lappy is out of the question at the mo, so is this feasable or do i just put up with vista till i win the lottery

i am, as always, most grateful for your time...

regards
vistasucks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

now...and here comes the "but " from the topic title, i also have access to another lappy, also an acer but an older model, 80 gb hard drive that runs XP, which i prefer (till i can afford to upgrade to 7)..my question to whoever reads this first is...can i swap the XP drive for my vista drive...will everything work the same or or they not compatable...

Doubtful unless they are the exact same make and model. Most likely won't even boot up because of drivers and even if it did you would have to load all new drivers for the system. Also why would you want to go backwards with your systems?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi and thanks for the reply....thats that idea out the window then :lol:
it was just a thought as i prefer xp to vista ( i have xp on my pc) so not really going backwards for me, just more comfortable with xp...

now, where did i put that lottery ticket :confused:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue is since the other system is XP there may not be Vista drivers which would cause all kinds of issues.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thats ok mate, ive given up on the idea, it was just a daft thought anyway....faffing about with drivers and stuff that i have no understanding of is beyond me...i'll stick with vista for the time being...thanks for your time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your Vista system is slow you might give some thought of increasing the memory as that will make the biggest difference in the system for the least amount of money. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
already bought, just awaiting delivery....2 gb, the max this computer will take :thumbsup:

Edited by vistasucks, 24 September 2012 - 02:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is your current memory total? 2 gigs should help out a lot I'm sure.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
its currently 1gb..it was 512mb when i bought the computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah doubling your memory to 2 gigs will be a great improvement. You should see speed, programs opening and closing faster and response times for multiple programs working should improve a lot.

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i hope so, i can feel myself going grey waiting for this thing to work sometimes :angry:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how everything works out as we like to know good or bad. Your resolution could help others in the future. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
absolutely will mate....thats probly the only chance i'll get to actually contribute to this site..me being a complete dunce at these things...i feel a bit guilty just posting questions and not being able to help :upset:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
vistasucks
Hi again

No need whatsoever

i feel a bit guilty just posting questions and not being able to help

it will and meant most genuinely, as I said on the original topic for the latop,
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
when I advised the ram increase, always be a pleasure to help people so easy to work with and so appreciative as your goodself

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No reason to feel guilty at all. We are here to help and only ask that you let us know what the final resolution was to your issue. We don't ask for donations as this is a free site but some do have that capability if someone feels like contributing but it is not required.
Getting you back to running again is what we are here for and strive for. I myself enjoy the feeling of helping others and teaching some during the process of resolving their issue. :thumbsup: