Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its probably a stoopid question but....

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
im just glad that there are sites like this and guys like you who are willing to give their free time to help old duffers like me....hopefully the new ram will arrive before i go to turkey on friday but if it hasnt then ill let you all know how i get on when i return to blighty in a fortnight...thanks again for the assistances...goodnight all :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Good
Procedure is
1. Shut down of course
2. Remove power lead AND battery
3. Turn laptop over so that base is uppermost
4. unscrew and remove panel covering ram
5. Touch with both hands something metal to discharge any static in your body
6. Look carefully how the ram is installed normally two small clips one each end of the ram stick - gently move them away from the stick of ram - both together
7. The ram should then be already slightly lifted from the slot
8. Take hold of the stick by the edges, not by the components on the stick - lieft it out NOTE carefully the way it is inserted with the notch
9. Place it on a piece of card, or similar, but not on carpet
10, Discharge any static again in your body
11. Repeat with other stick of ram
12. Take the first new stick of ram hold it only by the edges. insert it in the slot from which you removed the second stick as that on a laptop is usually underneath the first to some degree
13 Push gently until the clips engage
14. repeat with the second stick

NOTE when removing the new ram from its packaging do not place on carpet whilst you are preparing to install

This may help
http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, new ram has arrived and is installed..lappy seems to respond quicker and deffo boots up quicker..many thanks for the advice and fitting instructions...

on a separate note, and nothing to do with this topic, when i logged off last night i had 15.2 gb space on c:/...now i have 11.6...any theories on where it went or did it fall out the bottom of my computer :lol: i havent downloaded anything or done anything except surf the net a bit...am somewhat baffled TBH :confused: :confused: :confused:
thanks again all :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Congrats on the ram.
Updates
restore points
temp files in browser cookies etc
Did you check - restore capacity

Clean browsing history as explained
disk cleanup
see what it is then

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 11 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
update time....im still using vista as i cant afford the upgrade to 7 but the lappy is cleaner and faster than its been for a long while due to the new RAM and advice from some splendid fellows on here....so here endeth this thread :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying
Good luck with it.

Are you up to date with all updates for windows and flash and java, a number of security weaknesses have recently been discovered in IE, Adobe flash and you should also update JAVA

If you are using Chrome it automatically updates flash with a new edition of chrome.

If you are using IE the latest updates from Windows include the security update for IE

The flash update is

to check edition of flash go control panel Flash icon open it and click the advanced tab - it will tell you the version

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2012 - 04:52 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hello mate...as far as i can see everything is up to date...not sure about java, dont even know if ive got it...how do i find out ?

cheers...nige :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Control Panel - JAVA double click to open -update tab,, and update now button - above that is an indication of how you receive them

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
no java listed..tried the search box at the top...no items match your search it says...does that mean i dont have it and do i need it :confused: :confused:

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If it is not there you have not got Java installed

You will only need it if you encouter a download etc where it tells you that JAVA is needed.

Usually it will the provide a link to install

I would not concern yourself too much with installing it now

When it is installed a failure to keep it up to date is a security weakness.

For information ONLY
http://blogs.technet...up-to-date.aspx