Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

registery key question

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I have a XP machine running Outlook Express 6. I am unable to open Internet Explorer links in email. When my Win7 machine and Outlook 2010 had this problem, I found an internet post on editing the registery that corrected the problem. That post had me going into the registery and lookinh for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html and modifying the value of the .html key from ChromeHTML to htmlfile and repeating for the .htm, .shtml, xhtml, ans xhtm keys. That I can handle. My problem is, on the XP machine, those registery keys do not exist. Are they supposed to be there and can I copy and transfer them from my Win7 machine?

tjmcs

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Possible answer here: Cannot open hyperlink in email message.

See the first response marked Answer.

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
There is a fixit available for this issue

http://go.microsoft....?linkid=9726441

good luck

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Narenxp, please post a link to the web site you can download from, not a direct link to the download files unless there is no other way to do it. I'm not sure how others feel but I like to see where I'm getting something from and what information is available there about what I'm downloading.

Is this the web page? Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook

It says it's for Outlook, not Outlook Express but it may work.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Narenxp...What am I downloading and what is it supposed to do?

Ztruker...I followed the link you gave me and got lost reading it. I do not know that much about a computer. I was able to modify the registery in one machine to solve my problem because the instructions were given. If the afore mentioned keys are not in a Window XP registery, say so and I wil leave it alone and do something else. If they are supposed to be there, I can add them.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
tjmcs - I was asking narenxp if the link I provided was the same Fixit he gave a link for. Since it says it's for Outlook and not Outlook Express it probably is not. Hopefully narenxp will post back with an answer to your question.