Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is the Average Power Inverter Safe for My Notebook Computer

• Please log in to reply

Donegal

Donegal

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, so I Have an HP G60-235DX Notebook PC. Now it came with its own Power Cord Adapter for plug-in of 110 volt Home use. So, the Question is, can I purchase one of these Car Power Inverters that take your Car's 12 Volt and turn it into 110 Volt -- In this case I would be able to Plug into it using the actual power adapter that came with my laptop and therefore any of the "smart device" stuff they say comes with these actual HP Adapters would be in place it would simply be that the 110 Volt is coming from the Car Inverter rather than plugged into a "home outlet". Now. I think my Notebooks minimum Power need is 65 Watt -- so, for example (I have got to find a "definitive" answer here), would this pasting below from an ebay listing seem to work safely for my computer where, again, I am plugging into it using the Power Adapter that came with the Notebook PC???

Features:

• 12V DC input, 110V AC output (AC jack), 5V-1ADV output (usb jack)

• USB charging jack is perfect for use with iPods, iPhones, cell phones, and other small electronics that can charge over USB

• Supports a 150W sustained load

• Includes power indicator light

• Tolerates input voltage from 11V to 15V

• Safety shutoff engages if the input voltage leaves the acceptable range

• Universal AC jack will accept plugs from anywhere in the world while providing snug support for US plugs

Electrical Specifications:

Shell Material: PC+ABS

DC Input Voltage: 12V

AC Output Voltage : 110V

Power rating: 150W

Power for long use : 120W

AC Output Frequency : 50±2Hz

USB Output: DC 5V

Overload Protection: YES

Shortcircuit Protection : YES

Overheated Protection: YES

Low Voltage Protection : YES

Low Voltage Protection: DC 9.5V~10.5V

Over Voltage Protection: DC 14.5V~15.5V

Ambient Temperature(°C): -5~50

Product N.W. : 140g

Dimensions (LxWxH) : 120*63*43mm

Package Includes:

150 w power inverter

Edited by Donegal, 24 September 2012 - 09:19 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, you can use an inverter to run the normal AC power adapter. In this case the inverter appears to be able to supply enough power for the AC adapter.

Donegal

Donegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Super -- Many Thanks Kemasa!!!!! :thumbsup: