Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with raid and converting to ssd

• Please log in to reply

GT780DXR

GT780DXR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all you geeks, and geekettes.
Thank you for reading this post, and hopefully I will get my questions answered. I am currently running an MSI GT780DXR-446 laptop. specs on this thing Nvidia graphics cards GTX570M 3gb. Intel I7-2670QM, and 16gbs of ram. I am running a 1tb of HDD in raid form, but I been looking to switch over to SSD. How to I transfer data from a raided machine? I know how to do it if it was a single drive, or even two separate drives, but since data is spanning both drives I am clueless. I can turn off the raid if I wanted to when I switch to ssd, but I am looking for that outrageous speed that comes with a raided ssd. The ssd's I been thinking of buying is the Samsung 830 Series 512 gb. I was looking at the one that has the 520 read/ 400 write. Now I am not stuck on this brand. If there is a better sdd drive please let me know. One thing I need these drives to be is stable. I do online schooling, and the last thing I need is my system to go down because my ssd decided to take a dirt nap. Anyway if i left things out I am sorry just ask, and I will try to clarify it. I am open to suggestions, and ideas. Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

GT780DXR

GT780DXR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I guess I will try to clarify my question. My machine is in a raid format. It is running 2 512GB 7200rpm hard drives. Windows sees my drives as a 1TB drive. I would like to switch over to SSD. So how can I transfer the information thats on the raided disks; so that I can continue running raid in SSD?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Using RAID0 for the OS drive is not a very good solution, a very risky strategy. Please read this post, right to the end.
> http://www.tomshardw.../278576-32-raid

Something I have not attempted to do, but there are possible solutions.

> http://www.tomshardw...-arrayed-drives

For the price of 2 reasonable quality SSDs you could get a single large one for the OS. You could us a backup program to backup the RAID disks and them copy back to the single OS SSD.

This is the latest version of Caspar, which I think is capable of this + more.

> http://www.softsea.c...iew/Casper.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Just enquiring into how you are progressing with your problem? An update would be appreciated.