Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't connet to my router and internet [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gary55

gary55

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I originally posted this problem in the networking category. The tech told me to look for help in the malware area. So here it is...

I have a desktop computer that I installed a wireless internet card in that won't connect to my router, network, internet, or whatever. I see the two small computer icons in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I can click on it and see my router or network with a FULL strength signal. But I still cant get it to connect to the internet. There have been times in the past when it would connect to a different wireless signal that is from one of my neighbours but it is rare and slow when it does. It only connects when hard wired. Can anyone please help me with this situation?

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello gary55

Welcome to Geekstogo Malware Forum.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
[/list]

gary55

gary55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for helping me with my desktop computer. For some reason this has not gone as smooth as other times I've been helped. Initially, I posted to network help and was advised to go to malware help. I did post to it and was instructed to run a OTL program that I needed a internet connection. I don't have a internet connection, so I don't know if there is another way to address the malware problem...or go back to addressing the network connection problem. I do have a 1 gig flash drive for xfering programs. Thanks!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello gary55,

so I don't know if there is another way to address the malware problem...or go back to addressing the network connection problem.

The two are likely related. We have got to get rid of the malware infection before we can deal with the connection problem.

I don't have a internet connection,

I take it that you are using another computer to post here. Is there any reason why you can't use that computer to download to your flash drive and use that to connect to the infected machine?

Same thing would apply to running OTL too but let's see if you can do Farbars Recovery Scan first.

Just take it step by step. Sometimes people like to print out the instructions so they have them beside them while they take action.

Don't hesitate to ask if you are not sure about anything. :)

gary55

gary55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes I am using another computer to post here. I downloaded OTL to a flash drive but when I plug it in the infected computer it does not recognize the flash drive in any of the USB's ! Is there any hope? Thanks for helping...

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Two things:

1. Remember I asked you to try Farbars Recovery Scan - see my first reply. Did you try that?

2. Turning to the USB drive. If the computer is not recognizing the USB ports once it is booted up, does it recognize the CD drive?

gary55

gary55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i will have time to address these issues this weekend. i have been away at work. thank you for your patience.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.