Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down & CPU fan is going 50 miles per hour

• Please log in to reply

lapetite66

lapetite66

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi:

My computer isn't shutting down properly. :help::(

The monitor goes off but the CPU is still going and I end up having to turn it off manually from the back. A problem that results from doing this (I think) is that when I turn the computer on the CPU fan is going 50 miles per hour and is really loud. It does slow down as Windows is loading but that isn't the point I need to know how to fix this.

My Specs are as follows:

Harddrives(Seagate): 2 SATA(500GB, 1TB), 1 ATA(500GB)

Motherboard: MSI - Model P67A-C43 (MS-7673) – Version_1.0
North Bridge Intel Sandy Bridge Revision 09
South Bridge Intel P67 Revision B3

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Cpu Socket - Socket 1155 LGA

RAM: 4GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

I did a search on the web and some of the articles had different reasons for why the above mentioned was happening.

1. I need to clean my CPU of dust.

Last night (9/24/12) when I shutdown the computer I unhooked everything and grounded myself with the computer case and did a thorough cleaning and even added a new drop of metal oxide to the CPU/heatsink(although it wasn't dried up or had disappeared).

2. My CPU fan is lose.

It wasn't and still isn't after cleaning out the dust last night

3. Could be a virus

This past weekend I've done complete virus scan with Norton, Malwarebytes and even downloaded Dr. Web Cureit. Yes, some nasties were found and removed but maybe there could be something left over that the above mentioned didn't find.

4. Could be my power supply

The power supply is a Cooler Master and I only got it last summer(2011)

5. I could have bad drivers.

I should tell you that I did slipstream Windows Professional XP SP 3. I slipstreamed various software and also used DPs_BASE_1006 to slipstream the following driverpacks:

DP_Chipset_wnt5_x86-32_1206
DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_1206
DP_Graphics_B_wnt5_x86-32_1206
DP_Graphics_C_wnt5_x86-32_1206.
DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_1205.7z
DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1206
DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_1111
DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_1111

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

Can you tell me when did this problem start? Has it always occurred or did it start recently?

Two solutions that I have personally experienced with this problem in my workshop (well, common solutions anyway) are:

1) Norton security software (uninstall it and the computer shuts down properly. Result = change security software).

2) Power Supply. Even if it's only a few months old or brand new, it could be at fault. Do you have another to test with? Even borry from a family/friend?

Cheers

Troy

lapetite66

lapetite66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Troy:

Thanks for responding to my post :).

I can't remember the exact date when the problem started but I do know that that it wasn't something that happened the next day. Also I should mention the "problem" isn't something that happens every day. Sometimes a few days go by and there isn't a problem with the computer not shutting down properly or the powersupply running 50 mph and then suddenly it's hammer time and I don't mean that in a good way. :upset:

I really don't think that it's the Norton as I never had this problem with the old power supply.

As for your second comment that could be the case. If so I will be very upset as the power supply isn't that old since I got it just last summer(I think). As for why this is happening, I remember using some compressed air to clean out some dust and instead of air it looked like some liquid came out too. I don't know why as I followed all the directions and did a test on my hand BEFORE using it in the computer . I didn't power the system back up until the next day though.

If that bit of liquid caused a problem I'm wondering why it took it so long to manifest itself???

As I asked earlier could it be the driverpacks??? That they are interferring with other drivers? I ask because some things that should be working don't work. Okay, I have one of those Microsoft Multimedia keyboards and I've it had since 2003. It came with a driver disc which I installed after install Windows XP. Anyway, you know how the keyboard has different shortcut buttons at the top that allow you to open your pictures, music, your documents etc. Well, all the other buttons work except a few, those are the ones that allow you to turn up the volume, pause, stop or fast forward.

It worked when I first installed the driver but then it stopped working. Don't get me wrong I can turn the volume up and down but the feature where I used to be able to see a thingy on the screen which showed me when I was turning the volume up or down is gone. Instead, every so often I get the message "Microsoft Keyboard has to close blah, blah, blah,".

The only reason I used the driver packs is because Windows XP wouldn't install on my new SATA motherboard(the old MB was ATA) because I needed the iastor.driver (I think that how you spell it) and that the one driver that isn't embedded within the Windows XP Pro software. That's how I got involved with slipstreaming to slipstream the iastor.file. Maybe windows 7 doesn't have this issue, I don't know but I have Windows XP. If I could figure out how to just add the iastor file by itself I would do that but I can't seem to get it right although I followed the "How to Create your own driverpacks" tutorial to the letter.

Anyway thanks for responding.

Edited by lapetite66, 03 October 2012 - 08:53 PM.