Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP won't start. "cannot find config/software"

• Please log in to reply

Promojo

Promojo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys

Yesterday I had the problem with my computer that it won't start Windows XP, and keeps rebooting. It shows an error message: "cannot find c:\windows\system32\config\software"

Because I could not get to even safe mode or command prompt, I had to make a Windows XP startup disk, which succesfully worked and got me to the recovery console and system restore screen. Keith gave me a link to fix the exact problem I have here:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

The problem is that in the steps they provide, my computer can't find the config\software file when I try to copy the file, as well as config\default file. Also, when trying to copy all the files from the c:\windows\repair directory, my system says it cnat find the repair directory

I then copied all the files that my computer could not find, from my other home PC (also running on windows XP) , put it onto a CD and continued to copy it into the correct directories of my "broken" PC.

All this did not fix my problem because as soon as I exit the recovery console, mu PC reboots with the same problem

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Promojo. I found more info from M$ at http://support.micro...kb;en-us;822705