Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slow. HDD light on most of the time.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

UBS

UBS

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My computer is very slow to react. Programs do not respond if I don't wait for sometime. The HDD light is on most of the time. Please help!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome back to Geeks to Go. :)

My computer is very slow to react. Programs do not respond if I don't wait for sometime. The HDD light is on most of the time. Please help!

No need to attach any logs, just post the contents in future please.

Now I actually do not think your problems are malware related(but we can run a few checks at some point to err on the side of caution if you so wish). Anyway this is the likely source:-

Drive C: | 19.52 Gb Total Space | 1.89 Gb Free Space | 9.67% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32
Drive D: | 19.52 Gb Total Space | 0.21 Gb Free Space | 1.08% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32
Drive E: | 19.52 Gb Total Space | 0.43 Gb Free Space | 2.18% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32
Drive F: | 15.90 Gb Total Space | 1.08 Gb Free Space | 6.82% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32

Apart from the fact using a outmoded file system the free space on all the Hard-Drives(and or partitions) is way to low, considered dangerously so in-fact...

A Hard-Drive(and or partition) requires a bare minimum of 15% available free space to be able to function correctly, but at least 25% is better in my humble opinion.

My friendly advice would be choose to uninstall some software you do not need and or move any documents/files/pictures etc to a form of removable storage media. As the lack of current Hard-Drive space will be impacting on overall system performance. Plus eventually any type of system maintenance will prove to be problematic and your machine may even cease to boot up at all.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for your response. My drives have always been almost full but I had never encountered a problem such as I have been facing since the past few months. Please suggest alternative solution if possible.

Thank you.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Thank you for your response.

You're welcome!

My drives have always been almost full but I had never encountered a problem such as I have been facing since the past few months. Please suggest alternative solution if possible.

The only viable solution is the one I posted about prior. Feasible the Hard-drive may be failing but that is not my sphere of expertise if you will as primarily I only provide Anti-Malware support.

Not a lot else I can do/advise personally to be honest and as mentioned prior it does not appear to be a malware related issue at all.

You could seek a second opinion from the IT Tech Staff via creating a new topic in this part of the forum if you so wish:-

Hardware, Components and Peripherals

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I appreciate your help. I'll try the link you have provided. God bless you. :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

OK, good luck and you're welcome!

If in the event you need this topic re-opened, merely send myself a PM(private message) to ask and I will gladly do so.