Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair problems

• Please log in to reply

danzer

danzer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi All,

Been trying to fix my office computer for a couple days now with no luck. I've tried almost everything to get it up and running, but no luck. Here's what I have tried:

Repair windows xp through OS disc
Chkdsk /r from booting OS disc
Ren Kernel32.dll kernel32dl_ from booting OS disc
Fixed the initial "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\ntfs.sys" message that started it all

After repairing windows, the windows loading screen does appear but only for a couple seconds, it's like it's playing with my emotions. I sit there hoping it would load, but it would just reboot and start the process all over again.

Before you suggest it's a hardware issue, I can assure you it is not. I replaced the ram with the same one from a working desktop. All the other components are fine. I have backed up as much as I could by copying all files and folders onto a working computer. I can access the hard-drive when connected to another computer.

Any thoughts on what else I can try?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Repair windows xp through OS disc

How exactly did you do a repair and I'm guessing it was not a repair installation of the OS but simply repairing the missing file. :confused:

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Step 3: Boot from your Windows XP CD. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. Can't boot from your CD? Please see the note at the bottom of this page (Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD).

Step 4: A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD.

Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

Posted Image

When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.

Posted Image

Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!

Posted Image

Your almost finished! Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, and have your CD-KEY ready if needed.

This is what I mean by repair

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and is the OS disk a genuine disk from Microsoft, brand name system disk like HP or a downloaded and burned copy?

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is a genuine disk from Microsoft. The computer is a custom built computer, not like dell, hp, etc. Everything is genuine regards to the OS, software, and such.

Edited by danzer, 25 September 2012 - 12:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you have backed up all important data do you think you would be open to a fresh install then to get rid of any possible OS issues? The other option is to try a Parallel Installation and see if it will boot then.

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When I said backed up, I meant I copied all folders and files over from the HDD to a working computer. I don't know if that's considered backing up. I also tried running anti virus software on it, but nothing came up.

I think I'd rather leave the fresh install as last last resort. How would I go about doing a parallel install?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The main reason why I am leaving a fresh install as last resort is because I have a lot of contacts and appointments set in my outlook. Are you saying that I can retain this data by doing the parallel install? Installing outlook and other programs is no problem. The data is what I need the most.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Are you saying that I can retain this data by doing the parallel install?

Yes your data should be safe doing the parallel installation since what you are doing is installing a second OS on the same drive.

Yes you can then export and then import the outlook data after you make sure the OS is working correctly.

Advertisements

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I don't have the product key with me, whoever built the computer at the office and installed Windows has it somewhere. Would it be possible to find it from the command prompt or in the bios?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope since you cannot get into windows then there is no way to retrieve the key.
Are you sure there is not a sticker on the side, back or inside the case with the OS version and the serial number on it?

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Couldn't find a sticker. I have the package that the cd came in, but the sticker with the key on it is missing. Guess I have to hunt down the person who installed it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep or you will have no choice but to purchase a new OS and XP is really hard to find now.
You can try a Linux Live cd to gain access to the data if you want to backup everything. I can include the instructions for Outlook but I'm not sure about Linux and Outlook.

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yea I'm not going to do that lol

Let me try to find the CD key and if I don't I'll post back and let you know..

Truly appreciate the help btw!

Edited by danzer, 25 September 2012 - 03:02 PM.