Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair problems

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you need to find that serial number.

Advertisements

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I used a key from a computer we don't really use and everything installed just fine. I only have a 30 day period to activate it now so I need the old computer up and running in 30 days. What's my next step? Would I be able to find the old computers product key? How can I just use the other computers product key on this old one and stop using the other computer? I need to install all the drivers and devices as well. It was also connected to a server, which I have no idea how to connect to.

Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused. Did you install XP on the system that wouldn't start?
If you installed it on system with the problem you may not be able to get the original serial number now. You can try Magic Jelly Bean to see if it will find the original number.

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I installed XP on the system that would not start. I took a product key from another computer that was working and used it on the system with the newly installed XP so I could get it up and running. The old computer is now activated with a product key.

I can't seem to go anywhere with internet explorer and it won't let me download SP2 which I need to install some drivers.

Any idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install SP1 first?
SP2 won't install unless SP1 is already installed.
Also you will need to get the original serial number because you can't have the same serial activated on two systems at the same time. That is against Microsoft's TOU and is illegal. :whistling:

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
SP1 should be installed, but I will double check.

The other computer is not in use right now, nor will it be. Hopefully I can find the old key somewhere and plug it into the newly installed one. But I can assure you nothing illegal is going on.

Internet Explorer keeps not responding and closing. I've installed all mobo drivers and graphics card drivers. Still, it doesn't seem to work.

I'll try to play with it some more and see what comes up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The other computer is not in use right now, nor will it be. Hopefully I can find the old key somewhere and plug it into the newly installed one. But I can assure you nothing illegal is going on.

I understand your point of view and I believe it is not intentional but just being installed on two computers at the same time is illegal. It doesn't matter if the other system is not used or not. This is what we are looking to rectify as soon as possible.
Did you try my suggestion in post 18 yet to find the original key?

danzer

danzer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried using the program to find the original key, but it only gave me the current one I took from the working computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is what I was afraid of. By using the new key you have effectively erased the old one. :upset:

This would mean you need to contact Microsoft and obtain a new key. When you try to activate it will give you a number to call that you can do this. If you choose to do this then you should not only be legal but the serial will be different for the system we are working on. It would be your responsibility to make sure Microsoft gives you a new serial code for the problem system and then rerun the program I mentioned in post 18 or write down the new key. This way the old system and the new system would have different serial numbers. Everything would then be legal :thumbsup: