Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no audio device is installed

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
each time i start Windows 7, I see that the volume icon is x-red. if I hover over it, it says "No audio Device is installed."

I have found a work-around by clicking on the Sound Recorder, it says the same message, but the next message is Do you want to start Windows audio Services. i click yes, and it works.

In sysconfig, i see that the Audio is set to run automatically....

any way to make this less troublesome?

thanks
Paul

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
When the computer boots and the red icon is shown go Windows button Control Pane, Admin Tools services
Scroll to Windows Audio service
I presume then the service is stopped
click on the dependencies tab and you will see the services that the audio service depends on

Check those services as well

This can on occasions be the result of using the so called make it go faster programs - some of which supposedly tweak services and the registry etc.
If you have used one of these my advice is do not.

Please see this short article I wrote regarding the issue - if of course it does apply to you by any chance
http://www.geekstogo...-care-programs/

post 4 on that link refers

You have also posted this topic
http://www.geekstogo...o-language-bar/

Does this refer to the same computer please

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2012 - 01:37 PM.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks for both answers - sound & language bar; yes, same laptop.

Language Bar: did all you recommended; (had actually done those steps already); no effect.

Audio: started the windows audio services. The red x goes away. when I restart the computer, gone again.

anything else to help?

Thanks!
Paul

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying

I think it best if the two topics were merged, so that it may all be dealt with together

That will also be best for you, rather than you having the difficulty of replying to both.

I have requested that this be done.

Good luck with it.