Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Analyzing a laptop to consider repair

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
We have a Dell Inspiron 1545 received with a broken screen. It boots to an auxiliary screen with no problems and will go in to BIOS. It did not have a hard drive. For testing purposes, installed a 250G drive and attempted to format it using Windows. After six hours the format process quit and nothing else happened. I thought the hard drive might be bad but removed it, installed in an external enclosure, than formatted it using one of the desktops. it formatted with no difficulty. Prior to buying a screen for this laptop, I need to know if the laptop is bad. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Edited by Janis, 28 September 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the hard drive seen in the BIOS now it is formatted -
If so it may be worthwhile installing a free operating system such as Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/

If that installs then you know basically the hardware is OK

While you were formatting the drive, did you run a chkdsk /r on it to check for bad sectors

If not run a disk check utility such as Seatools for Dos on the drive now
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

that will work on any drive, or use the manufacturers utilty for DOS from here
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2012 - 01:47 PM.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I didn't do a chkdsk as that doesn't come up when using the format on the Windows installation when I used a desktop, right clicked the laptop drive, format comes up but not chkdsk. Do I need to go to cmd to do a chkdsk on an external drive? If so I'll have to look up the command line for that :-) Will Seatools allow me to chk and format an external drive?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreicate that chkdsk does not appear on format, but it does on right click, properties and then tools and then error checking.

The answer to seatools is YES, but I thought it was already formatted and the concern was checking it was OK

All the information you need re Seatools is on the link or the sub links from it

YOu must use the one for DOS of course,as the other is for Windows and that is not now installed

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Thanks for all the help Using Seatools, the drive comes up clean. My next step will be to install Ubuntu to gauge the status of the laptop.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That will certainly test the system and then of course you can simply try windows, on a clean install and on the install procedure format and Ubuntu will be gone.

Or depending how you wish to proceed you can, having now assured yourself the drive is OK, go straight to a windows install, remembering of course that with a Dell computer, the operating system installed, will have to be the Windows installation for the Dell, using the product key from the label on the computer.

It is more than likely that any other installation CD, will not activate Windows on that computer and the Dell will only work using the product key on the COA label