Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reset computer with no disk or GUI

• Please log in to reply

Beluinus

Beluinus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, my computer got hit with a virus, badly. Now the only thing that will open is the virus. It won't let me open any Internet, it on occasion lets me open explorer with a lot of hassle, but then says no Internet so I can do anything I need. The reason I am putting this here is because my computer is too far gone to be saved. I have a back up disk with a couple things on it I need from awhile ago, before the virus struck, but I just want my computer completely wiped. I'm currently taking a cyber security class, but nothing they said is working, because I can't access half of it. If anyone could pretty pretty please help me, I would be eternally grateful. My information, if I get it correct, is as follows. The computer itself is an HP Compaq dc50000 MT, and I believe what would count as an OS is the Windows XP Professional. I don't have any OS disk as the computer was taken from my father's work because they got better computers, so I have nothing that originally came with except the cords. If you need any more info, just ask me. Please and thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can order the restore disc from here: Restore Disks $20

Beluinus

Beluinus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no money :(

Ingo6453

Ingo6453

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can I have some info on the virus? Some viruses can be deleted manually.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Beluinus

Beluinus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, like I said in the first topic, I have tried all of it, and I am done with trying to rid it of the virus, now all I want to do is reset if, but I cant find how to get it, and it won't let me into control panel, so I am trying to find it somewhere in startup but I can't find it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have told us very little about the system itself. Is it a name brand system and if so what is the make and model of it.
If not then we may have a problem because you will need the OS disk to do a format and reinstall of the OS.

Beluinus

Beluinus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I can put everything I know about it. Let's see, Intel Inside Premium 4, Windows Xp Professional-Hp, Hp Compaq dc5000 MT, and actually, it's this one, as for software, I don't know about that. http://h20565.www2.h...44892.492883150

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You don't want to go to our Malware area and you can't but a recovery CD. I wish there were but I can't think of anything we can do to help you.

Do you have a friend who has a Windows XP OEM install disc? If so you could borrow theirs then use the key on the COA sticker on your computer to activate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hp should have a hidden recovery partition.

HP:

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

If it is a Compaq then the Recovery partition can be accessed doing the following.

Compaq:

reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F10

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think this computer has a recovery partition. At least I couldn't find any mention of it in the manual. All it talked about was using the Restore Kit but I could not find anything on what that was.

Would be nice if it did though! Fingers crossed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm hoping also since no disk were included. Hopefully not because they were lost or being so old.