Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus in Yahoo email

• Please log in to reply

Finding.Replacing

Finding.Replacing

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
For about a month now there have been countless emails to my contacts and luckily one of the contacts was my webhost (Hostgator) they said:

Hello,

It appears that your computer may have a virus, as your account has been repeatedly sending us links such as the following one:

hxxp://www.teima.net/577100.php

Yahoo login activity from elsewhere.

2:07 AM

Browser

Mail Access

Greece

2:07 AM

Browser

Logged in to Mail

Greece

Sep 23, 2012

6:32 PM

Browser

Mail Access

Japan

Sep 23, 2012

6:32 PM

Browser

Logged in to Mail

Japan

Sep 23, 2012

12:07 AM

Browser

Mail Access

Spain

Sep 23, 2012

12:07 AM

Browser

Logged in to Mail

Spain

My other Yahoo account, hotmail, gmail and aol seem to not have this problem. I just changed my password but doubt that will solve the problem.

Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Actually changing your password will usually solve this problem if you change it to a longer harder to guess password. We are seeing a lot of this with yahoo. Apparently it is very easy to use a password guesser program on yahoo so any password with fewer than 7 letters is easily guessed. They have now started offering a two stage logon which might help.

I went through several systems which had yahoo mail spam (including my wife's) and couldn't find any malware on the system. It was only after we changed the password to have 8 letters that the spam stopped.

You can try some free online scans if you like but I doubt they will find anything.

Use IE and go to http://eset.com/onlinescan and click on ESET online Scanner. Accept the terms then press Start (If you get a warning from your browser tell it you want to run it).

# Check Scan Archives
# Push the Start button.
# ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
# When the scan completes, push LIST OF THREATS FOUND
# Push EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
# Push the BACK button.
# Push Finish
# Once the scan is completed, you may close the window.
# Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
# Copy and paste that log as a reply.

Let's also try the bitdefender quickscan.

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

When it finishes there is a View Report option at the bottom. Click on it and copy and paste the report (even if it says nothing found).

Ron