Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help witb trojan [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

1234help

1234help

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,
my laptop (Acer 3690 running windows XP
home edition) has been infected by a
trojan and now
my laptop is continuously rebooting I am
able to make it to the BIOS menu and
advanced startup. any help will be greatly
appreciated

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
This is a duplicate copy of a topic you already posted. Please wait for a response on your original post.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi, 1234help! :welcome: My nick name is CompCav and I will be assisting you with your Malware/Security problems. Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any questions or you are unsure about anything, just ask and I will help you out. :)

If you have resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please let me know so that this topic can be closed.

Please make sure you are saving and printing the instructions out prior to each fix, this way you will have them on hand just in case you are unable to access this site. One of the steps I will be asking you to do requires you to boot into Safe Mode and this process will be much easier for you to perform if the instructions are printed out for you to follow.

If you are ready to get started, please review and follow these guidelines so that we resolve your issues in a timely and effective manner:
  • Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instructions that I give you. Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • These instructions have been specifically tailored to your computer and the issues you are experiencing with your computer. These instructions are not suitable for any other computer, even if the issues are fairly similar.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. However, the one thing that you should always do, is to make sure your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Just do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file inside your post and submit.
  • You must reply within four days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
  • Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic. PM me only if I have not responded to your last post in 2 days.
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to ultimately reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Please have the software and storage media for backing up your data available.

Step 1.

OK lets go in outside of windows. We will need to create a CD and additionally use a USB drive

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
    Posted Image
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is it possible for me to boot OTL from a USB

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Yes and here are the instructions to do so:

Step 1.

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from the following link and save it to your Desktop: mirror1.
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

Step 2.

Download Farbar Recovery Tool to your USB drive as well.

Step 3.
  • Reboot your system using the boot USB you just created.
  • As the USB needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
    Posted Image
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I apologize for the wait but I wanted to inform you I have been finding it difficult to access a computer however I will carry out your instructions on Monday

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thank you for the update and I will look forward to your post on Monday!

Regards,

CompCav

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Once again I am sorry to say it will take longer than anticipated

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I understand and I also appreciate the update so that I can keep the topic open for you!

Regards,

CompCav

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for your patience, however I have inform you that once again it will take longer than anticipated

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks for the update!

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I wanted to inform that the link for FRST has no downloads on the page, moreover do you have another.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The ink you have works for me but here is an alternative link. Download the 32-bit version for your XP machine.

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
They both give me an error message saying ' Unfortunately the page that you
requested does not exist '.

1234help

1234help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts