Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Mic problems] Headset.

• Please log in to reply

Buhni

Buhni

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've checked two forums recently about the mic issue but none have solved my problem; so I'm hoping that posting another topic is okay.
I recently changed my sound card about a week ago and have been trying to get my microphone headset to work but have gotten no luck.
I've asked Yahoo answers and still no luck, so I decided to try geekstogo. [:

To the point:
I changed my sound card because my old sound card had a piece of it that popped off [which so happened to be the microphone pink part]. The sound card use to work perfectly, including the headset mic. Due to the mic not working, which I really wanted to work, I changed the sound card.

Once I disabled the old sound card and popped in the new one - I downloaded all the drivers and made sure everything was up-to-date. Everything works fine except for my microphone on my headset. I can hear volume fine but when it comes to trying to talk, it doesn't hear anything.
The only bright side is that it says my microphone is working.

Details [Oddly I have more than I should in the control panel > sound.
Playback Tab:
Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working]
High Definition Audio Device [Not plugged in]

Recording Tab:
Mic Volume: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working]
Video Volume: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Currently Unavailable]
Line In: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working] [Currently Unavailable]
Aux Volume: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working] [Currently Unavailable]
CD Audio: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working] [Currently Unavailable]
Handset: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working] [Currently Unavailable]
Stereo Mix: Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)[Working] [Currently Unavailable]
Microphone: High Definition Audio Device [Not Plugged in]

Playback Tab /Properties of Speakers:
Levels:
Volume Control: 100
Wave Volume: 34
CD Audio: 23
Line-In: 100 [Disabled]
Mic Volume: 100 [Disabled] <- Yes; I know. The reason for it being disabled is because when that is on; that means you can hear your own mic coming from the speakers every time you talk. That doesn't need to be turned on.

Recording Tab / Properties of Mic Voulme:
Levels: 100

Sorry in advance for so much information and what-not.

Edited by Buhni, 30 September 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All that info byt you did not tell us what Os you are using. :whistling: The steps to help will differ between XP and Vista\Win7 :thumbsup:

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Lol.. I'm so sorry, I completely threw that out of my mind when giving all the information I could.
I can't believe I left out one one of the important information needed. LOL. So sorry.
Windows Edition:
Windows Vista™ Ultimate
^ That shows up when I go to control panel > system.
I do know that my computer is a Windows XP though...
//Sorry for stupidity.

Edited by Buhni, 30 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bo problem and though this is written for Win7 it should be the same for Vista. :thumbsup:

How to adjust microphone volume
To adjust the volume for your microphone in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, follow these steps:

Click Start button
, type mmsys.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
In the Sound dialog box, click the Recording tab.
Click Microphone, and then click Properties.
Note Make sure that Working appears under Microphone. If Working does not appear, click Microphone, and then click Set Default.
In the Microphone Properties dialog box, click the Custom tab.
Select or clear the Microphone Boost check box.
Click the Levels tab.
Adjust the volume slider to the level that you want, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Sound dialog box.

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you but I've done those steps and have gotten stuck at the Microphone Properties dialog box.
There is no custom tab; only General, Levels and Advanced.
When looking in all tabs; I see no Microphone Boost.
I do know that the levels are at 100.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely under advanced then.
Though the mic may be working is it muted or turned down?
What about the Device Manager also does it show any yellow exclamation marks?
Also just thinking since it is a new sound card are you sure the microphone is plugged into the correct input on the card?

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
M'm; nope - it's not under advanced either.
It is not muted or turned down and the headset doesn't have any sort of button - it just works as soon as you plug in it.
As for device manager..
When I look at everything; there is an yellow exlamation point in PCMCIA adapters -> Compaq PCMCIA Controller.
Also, just to help you out on what I'm seeing in Sound, here's a print screen.
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With Mic volume highlighted what shows when you click on Configure and Properties. Thanks for the pics as they help me to see what you are looking at. :thumbsup:

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the late reply and you're welcome, glad it helps.

As to your questions...
When I click on configure the Configure your Speech Recognition experience pops up.
Which I've already tried...
As to when I click Properties, in the previous picture it shows what pops up. [The three tabs; General, Levels and Advanced.]

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get screenshots of the other two tabs when they are showing please. As for your replies do not worry as it is Sunday and football starts n less then 30 minutes so I may not respond as quickly either. ;)

Advertisements

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Lmfao, football! Good luck on your team winning and awesome, take your time on replying. [:
And...here's the screenies for you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks and just to make sure have you tried the mic on another system to make sure it is still working?
Also on post 6 you never answered the last question I asked about the connections. Are you sure the microphone is plugged into the right hole on the soundcard?

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You're welcome and I haven't tried it in another system. I'll try that now.
Sorry for not replying to the last question but yes, it is in the right jack. [:

Buhni

Buhni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, I tried it on another system and it does indeed work.
I'm sadly beginning to think I need yet another sound card...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask did you check for any driver updates for the new soundcard or did you simply install the driver that would have been included on the drivers disk?
I ask because normally those drivers on the disks can be as much as a year old.