Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot Windows nor install a fresh copy

• Please log in to reply

Kalo93

Kalo93

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
For the past 24 hours or so, I've been trying to fix this issue.

It started when my laptop was being all slow, everything kept freezing except for the mouse, so I just switched the laptop off and booted it up again.
Now, it got to the point where windows was starting up with the logo etc, and then it stayed there for like 30 seconds, and then I got the BSOD which only appeared for a split second before my laptop restarted.

Once it had restarted, it asked me to either launch the startup repair or to start windows normally.
Now whenever I try the startup repair, it never loads, it just sits there doing nothing for over an hour.

So I tried installing a fresh copy, but when I click to install a new copy, it just says "Starting up..." and then stays there doing nothing, just like before.

Edited by Kalo93, 01 October 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

• Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Thanks.

I got:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP: 0x000000ED (0x85C30C28, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Souds like a hard drive issue so we need to check that first.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Souds like a hard drive issue so we need to check that first.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

No idea what I'm supposed to be downloading here, there's no ISO files, only executables 0.o

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What make is your hard drive?

What you need is the DOS CD ISO version of whatever your manufacturer of the hard drive is. Then follow the steps using imgburn to make the disk. Once disk is done then put it in the troubled system and boot up. If your boot sequence is set right for the cdrom to be the first boot device it should boot straight to the cd. If not then we will have to change the boot sequence for it to work.

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

What make is your hard drive?

What you need is the DOS CD ISO version of whatever your manufacturer of the hard drive is. Then follow the steps using imgburn to make the disk. Once disk is done then put it in the troubled system and boot up. If your boot sequence is set right for the cdrom to be the first boot device it should boot straight to the cd. If not then we will have to change the boot sequence for it to work.

My hard drive was made by Toshiba.

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Also, is there any way I could do this from a USB? I don't have any disks :c

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I managed to boot the program from my USB.
It says "No hard disk drive has been identified in your system."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK as i feared it looks like your hard drive has failed. It could be the cable or the controller also but the only way to know is to change the cable or ribbon or put the drive in another system as a secondary drive and see if it is identified there. If not then the drive is dead. If so I would suggest backing up all your data asap and then replace the drive.

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

OK as i feared it looks like your hard drive has failed. It could be the cable or the controller also but the only way to know is to change the cable or ribbon or put the drive in another system as a secondary drive and see if it is identified there. If not then the drive is dead. If so I would suggest backing up all your data asap and then replace the drive.

Hmmmm, how would I go about backing up the data? Isn't it expensive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if the hard drive can be seen as a secondary then you just have to copy or move the data to a flash drive, external drive, dvd's or another hard drive.
If the drive mechanically is dead then yes it could cost 100's if not 1000's to save the data and there is no guarantee even from a professional service how much they could save.

Kalo93

Kalo93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Nope if the hard drive can be seen as a secondary then you just have to copy or move the data to a flash drive, external drive, dvd's or another hard drive.
If the drive mechanically is dead then yes it could cost 100's if not 1000's to save the data and there is no guarantee even from a professional service how much they could save.

So if I were to plug it into another laptop, how would I check if it works?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to get a external hard drive enclosure and connect the enclosure via a usb cable.
If the drive is identified then you would see it in window explorer or my computer.