Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 5517

• Please log in to reply

Aliciacl

Aliciacl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently purchased a new HD for my Acer. I try to boot it using my Windows 2003 disk and I get a screen that says it either has a virus or needs to be configured. I know I need to run chkdsk but I dont know how its done. I can get into what I think is the BIOS because I changed it to boot from my cdrom. How do I run chkdsk on an Acer?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to boot your Windows install CD and install XP on the new hard drive, unless you cloned the old drive to the new one or restored a saved image.

Good directions here: How To Perform a New Installation of Windows XP - About.com

Aliciacl

Aliciacl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The message comes after I try to run my windows cd. It runs for about 2 or 3 minuets and then I get the message about configuration.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you tell me exactly what the error message says or better yet, take a picture of it with a digital camera and upload it here.

I have never seen a message like you describe when trying to install from a booted CD.

Did you downgrade the laptop from Vista to XP? On the Acer web site it indicates that laptop came with Vista.

Aliciacl

Aliciacl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its been so long since the thing worked I honestly don't remember, but I feel like it did not have Vista. I am trying to use XP because the computer did not come with any CDS when I bought it. ( It was a floor sample I bought on Black Friday from a store that went out of business soon after.)

The message is as follows:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage. If this is the frist time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apperas again follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption and the n restart your computer.

STOP: 0X00000077B, 0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000

I have removed and replaced the hd to make sure it is in correctly. I can't check for viruses becasue I don't have a working Windows enviroment, if I remove the hd, I have a large paperweight. I doubt there is a virus becasue the new hd is brand new just out of the bag and the old one crashed becasue it was over heated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Thanks for the additional info. I found this which may apply: STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78d2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000, 0X00000000), 3rd post in the thread.

The problem is usually cause by AHCI/RAID mode of SATA controller. Enter BIOS art startup, go to "Integrated Periferals" or something similar where you can find the "SATA Mode" option and change it from AHCI to ATA or IDE or what looks like that.