Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS/2 port works with keyboard but not with Mouse

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok but I'm using windows 3.11 and even tried Windows 98.

Yeah that will make a difference for sure. This may mean a driver will be needed. UART 1 should have no problem at all.
Do you have access to a serial mouse at all?

Advertisements

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Com 1 is the serial port.
I don't think you should have to install a driver for the mouse as every OS since XP should have the driver already installed by default.

Hi Ron,

The OS is Windows 3.11 Workstation. Does this need a driver for the serial mouse?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may need one so what kind of mouse is it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thinking about it I remember Win 3.1 does have a default mouse driver that may work. The biggest issue with serial mice was the IRQ assigned to the com 1 and 2 sometimes would clash with other IRQ's. You might try using the other com port if com 1 doesn't work with the serial mouse.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Thinking about it I remember Win 3.1 does have a default mouse driver that may work. The biggest issue with serial mice was the IRQ assigned to the com 1 and 2 sometimes would clash with other IRQ's. You might try using the other com port if com 1 doesn't work with the serial mouse.

Hi Ron,

I found an A4tech Model OK-720 serial mouse to try. I'm not sure if this will work. I will try com 1 and com 2 and let you know if it worked.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Ron,

It worked! I connected the serial mouse in COM2 port and Windows 3.11 detected it and ran.

I want to thank you for your support and patience.

More power to Geeks to go!

I guess it's ok to close this thread. Problem Solved!

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations olace88. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.
Thank you for updating me with the resolution and the very kind words.
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible