Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Resources & Windows Messenger/OE tie-in

• Please log in to reply

autumn_whispers2me

autumn_whispers2me

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, everyone: Firstly, I apologize for the length of my post, but I wanted to try and cover anything that might be asked. :tazz:

I've been trying to figure out why almost half of my ram is being used when IE is running, and why on average 198mb of 512mb is being used when no programs are being used (idle in other words).

As anyone with a laptop knows, it's easy to tell when something is "active" because the fans kick up. When I launch Opera, this doesn't happen with the fans or the RAM. If I launch IE.... this happens big time.

The second part of this question deals with Windows Messenger and why it's integrated with Outlook Express. I read a post here that mentioned keeping windows messenger from loading at startup, though mine isn't supposed to be doing that, the process msmsgs.exe remains in the background anyway and is eating up almost 10,000k of memory... for what I consider is no reason (though what do I know lol). But here's the problem...

...windows messenger is integrated with Outlook Express, which I use for mail. I can't shut down windows messenger when I'm checking mail---it wont allow it. It's further annoying because I'm not always "available to chat" when I'm checking mail, but windows messenger alerts everyone on my contact list that I'm online. This is VERY irritating. Why is windows messenger required to run outlook express? Is there a way to stop this? I use wm but I don't want it running when I'm checking mail.

What I've already done/what I do...

I've looked at the add-ons in IE and shut down what I thought was unecessary. I run ad-aware, spybotSD, spyware blaster, stinger, norton.... trying to keep up with malware & spyware. All of those are up to date.

I've updated everything via microsoft update.

I've run Norton, Stinger, AND Housecall (online)--all came up clean.

There are 5 instances of svchost.exe running which is using the below memory:

I've seen svchost.exe use as much as 40,000k in ONE instance of that process. between IE using 25,392k and svchost.exe using what it is... plus all the other running processes---many times I'm real close to using about half of my ram. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by autumn_whispers2me, 05 June 2005 - 10:34 AM.

Advertisements

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
yeah, it's normal. your comp is always going to be using at least half of your memory on background processes. if you do a google search for svchost it'll let you know what it does exactly. i'm not %100 on what it does but i do know it's a microsoft process and should not be disabled.
not sure exactly what you mean by windows messenger...i know there's a messenger service that can be disabled through your services manager but it doesn't have anything to do with outlook.if you're talking about a messenger service like those offered by yahoo and MSN i can't imagine how that could possibly become linked to your hotmail account. who manages your e-mail server? is it your ISP provider? if it is give them a call and talk to their tech-support.

autumn_whispers2me

autumn_whispers2me

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, it doesn't have anything to do with my isp or email server. It's the windows messenger that comes with xp. It's integrated with outlook express and can't be shut down without shutting down outlook express. I can launch it separately from outlook express and shut it down, but I can't stop it from running when outlook express is being used.