Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

drooped my laptop and then....

• Please log in to reply

ACONRED

ACONRED

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I dropped my laptop and fried the screen, fixed and now have issues. This is last try before I save files and folders, format and reinstall.
Have small business use two computers all time, sensitive finical on OptiPlex. I back it up ever Saturday to thumb drive in my pocket (don’t trust a cloud)
The second computer, vostro 3700 laptop is what I do most of my e mails on, my construction excel estimates and organize my life and business with one notes. It goes to house and work and business meetings. I back it up not as often 3 or 4 weeks (that will change)
I was at the house 4am in morning and grabbed my brief case thinking the laptop was in it only for it to be under it and it took a 3’ drop on the floor, screen busted. It immediately gave me problems because there was some estimates on there I needed. I bought a hard drive access with a board that change to a usb. I was able to get my excel files copied and working on the other computer, I did a few other things those few days, search for JPG’s and xls’s etc. I never did anything in the windows folder. A few days later I got the new screen had it installed in 5 minutes and booted the computer and was relieved when it came back on however I had some missing *.dlls that were shared *.dlls and caused several *.exe not to work. dll missing were wininet, urlmon, and iertutil, they were shared dills (from notes) looks like they effected several *.exe’s. First searched the search box and nothing (windows 7 99.9% sure in right forum). I have seen that before on my sons computer, he was going to pay some geek squad to come fix, insisted it was not on his computer no more, asked him to let me try. I found missing files just like I done his. Pulled up a dos window, went to c drive then dir *.dll /s and found his missing file and did the same for my missing file. On his after I found it I copied and pasted it back in the correct spot (system 32 I think! Long time ago) rebooted and his started working again fine. His was that vista. I did the same to mine its windows 7. I found 40 incidents of the file on my laptop but wasn’t a copy in the windows/system 32 folder I put all three of the files in there, that’s when I had something different I had to use administrator privileges to add them to that folder. It fixed all the *.exe that were not working HOWEVER it did something to my computer. Before I fixed the files it would boot after I by passed the none working *.exe’s worked fine (except for Iexplorer 9) after I moved the dll’s all those none working *.exe’s worked BUT I had “the copy of windows is not genuine” start. It said I did something and need to enter my product. I get the key, it’s under the battery. Try to enter it and it says it’s invalid. Now as I am using it I find other stuff not working, I explore 9 not starting, media players not starting I just found out that the search works but when I click to see more I get an error won’t open that window. Probably more that doesn’t work. I’m down to trying this post, next step be to save all my stuff and format and reload everything. It’s a last resort spent a long time getting it like I wanted. pictuer of laptop after dropping at 4am in morning, it really started out a bad day
thanks for any info

Attached Thumbnails

• dropped lap top.jpg

Advertisements

dynocompe

dynocompe

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
didnt read your whole post, but I would test your hard drive, if that drop had enough shock to crack your screen, it could very very easily ruin your hard drive too, see it all the time! Download seatools and give it a test.