Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer rebooting (possible over heating?)

• Please log in to reply

denk2003

denk2003

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
computer started rebooting about 2 weeks ago after about an hour of use. the event logs dont say much. let me know anything you need to help me fix this problem. Thanks.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-10-03T20:20:50.105204600Z

EventRecordID 117066

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Junk-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Advertisements

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
any help would be appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello denk2003.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space

While doing the above can you please do the following and provide the requested information.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hello rshaffer, thanks for responding.

it is a desktop, which i built myself a couple months ago.

the motherboard is a msi p67a-c43(b3)running windows 7 professional

8gb of ram

64gb ssd with 4gb free and a 1tb sata with 931gb free

let me know if you need anything else.

thanks,
jason

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah you have a serious heat issue.
Can you open the case up and make sure the fans are turning and that they are not full of dust.
Also are there smokers in the house and\or pets?
What is the inside temperature of the room the system is in?
Does it sit in a computer desk with very little open space around the case itself?

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
all the fans are working, i even installed another one.

its in an open space, just a regular office room, not too hot or anything.

you have any recommendations for an awesome fan or something? or any other ideas?

thanks,
jason

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is room try putting a box fan next to the system and leave the side off. See if that lowers the temperature. It looks like the airflow is not good so taking the side off would verify that.
Also did you get the HwMonitor screenshot?

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i went and bought a box fan, its keeping the computer cooler but i still dont think its cool enough because the computer is still rebooting after about an hour. i dont really understand cause the computer worked fine for months, and this just started happening.

thanks,
jason

Attached Thumbnails

• hardware monitor.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see a possible cause with your HwMonitor post. Look at your +12 volt rail. It is way below the accepted rate at 8.10.
It should be at 11.56 or better if I remember right. The Speedfan screenshot shows a low +12 volt also but higher then the last one. Is the power supply new also and can you post the brand, make and model of the power supply for me please.

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i changed the power supply couple days ago thinking that was the issue. i originally had a thermaltake 630 watts model sp-630ah2nh.

now im running a 850 watt corsair model cmpsu-850tx-c

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can see the voltages are not right so that PSU is not working correctly. Is the PSU new or did it come from another system or a extra laying around?
Per your original post.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I would like to see the original PSU voltages and see if that really was the cause.
Also if you can post the following for me to look through.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

" Go to
" Start
" In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
" From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

" Go to Start
" Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
" Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
" On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
" Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
" If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
" Please include that in your next reply.

I don't believe the issue is driver related but I just want to check and make sure with the following log.
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can put the old power supply back in if you want me to. it just came with the case i bought when i built the pc.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 10/5/2012 5:05:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100512-14710-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70040)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80081D9060, 0xFFFFFA80081D9340, 0xFFFFF80002FC9720)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 10/4/2012 9:41:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100512-14398-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80081C5B30, 0xFFFFFA80081C5E10, 0xFFFFF80002F91720)
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 10/4/2012 7:33:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100412-12417-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80081C4970, 0xFFFFFA80081C4C50, 0xFFFFF80002F83720)

On Wed 10/3/2012 10:23:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12277-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80081249E0, 0xFFFFFA8008124CC0, 0xFFFFF80002F7D720)

On Wed 10/3/2012 9:21:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12105-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80081556A0, 0xFFFFFA8008155980, 0xFFFFF80002F79720)

On Wed 10/3/2012 7:13:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12792-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008224B30, 0xFFFFFA8008224E10, 0xFFFFF80002FD1720)

On Fri 2/17/2012 8:15:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021712-7378-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x90817)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8800495E817, 0xFFFFF88007AA48A0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys ATI Technologies Inc. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Fri 2/17/2012 12:10:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021612-6333-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x90817)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004931817, 0xFFFFF88006E378A0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).

On Sat 2/11/2012 12:20:38 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021012-8330-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004781817, 0xFFFFF880054D48A0, 0x0)

On Sat 2/4/2012 5:34:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020412-7238-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8800489E817, 0xFFFFF88006C328A0, 0x0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

10 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Attached Thumbnails

• event viewer.jpg
  • event viewer 2.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah your errors are split between ATI and a 0xF4 error. Below is what they mean.

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive

The other seems to be the IEEE driver which is part of the ATI chipset.

Let me ask did you install any new programs or drivers just prior to these errors starting?

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
only thing i installed was a new 1tb hard drive. then it started happening about a week later.

i unplugged that hard drive and tried running the system without it plugged in and it was still crashing though

Edited by denk2003, 05 October 2012 - 12:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try a experiment then. Can you boot into Safe Mode With networking and see if the issue happens then. If not then we may be looking at a driver or service as the issue.