Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer rebooting (possible over heating?)

• Please log in to reply

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can do that or i could just reinstall windows if you think that would fix the issue. since i just built the computer there really isnt much on here that im worried about losing. let me know.

thanks,
jason

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The choice is yours but I would never suggest a format and reinstall unless we have exhausted all other options.
How long after the original install of the OS did this start?

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well i had the computer for 4 or 5 months, then i installed the the 1tb hard drive and it began about a week later.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try the Safe Mode With networking first and lets see if that resolves the issue. I am suggesting that because you will be able to post here that way even in Safe mode.

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
sorry i started the reformat process before i read your last post. i jumped the gun.

anyways, the reformat didnt fix it. same issue. so let me know what you want to do now.

thanks,
jason

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I still think it is the PSU but lets test two things which are the hd and the memory.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Depending on what these show then I have to go back to the PSU or motherboard and\or cpu. I honestly belive it is a PSU issue but you would need to change back to the original PSU for us to check it like we did this one.

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i think its gotta be something with the video card drivers. i just dunno how to fix it. the computer just crashed again but i was able to pull up speedfan before it rebooted and all the temps were in normal range.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 10/6/2012 2:23:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100512-7191-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x90817)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF880048B1817, 0xFFFFF880087ED8A0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Sat 10/6/2012 2:23:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x90817)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF880048B1817, 0xFFFFF880087ED8A0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you update your video card driver lately?

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
not that i can remember

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check your drivers and see if it shows out of date.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25089538

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your Pc PitStop report looks good and all drivers look to be up to date. To further check your drivers you can use a program already included with Win7 called Drivers Verifier. Follow the steps below to run the program. Go HERE to see a pretty good tutorial on how to run the program. Please let me know the results.

denk2003

denk2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
no errors on that test or anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then it is safe to say it is not a driver issue then.
I am leaning toward a chipset on the motherboard as being the issue along with the PSU still being the part of the issue. If the motherboard is the problem it may report the voltages wrong on the PSU. Can you open the system as I described earlier and physically check the motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors?

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Not sure but if the temps are reading high then could it be the case not keeping itself cool? If the case is running high it could cause the gpu to heat up and crash. Just a thought after reading all these posts and everything else that is posted. I did not see the case posted to show if it has good cooling or not. Since you have a 2500k cpu had you planned to over clock it and bought an after market cooler to do it? And are you using an after market cooler or the stock cooler that came with it? And did you apply thermal paste yourself? Or did you use the paste that came already applied?

I see your cpu is reading about 31c and your gpu about 50c all other temps are reading at 72c roughly except your hdo at around 0c. And all your fans are running under 1200rpm. So what case are you using? And how many fans does it have? And where are they located? I see it showing 3 fans if one of those is the cpu fan then the other 2 would be case fans right? And which way are your fans running? As in are they blowing air out? Or pulling air in? My on board gpu (one built into the mobo) was running hot on me at one point and was causing my monitor to go black randomly for a few seconds then coming back to normal.

I'm no expert but from what i read here it made me think of the case running hot causing the shut downs. Or maybe having extra pins under the mobo not in use shorting out. Or a setting set to low causing the pc to shut down (as in if the pc is set to shut down if the gpu hit a certain temp). Or in a rare case it could be the power button from the case causing it (rare but i have seen it before). Just a few more things to maybe check out.