Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't know what I have, if I have it!

• Please log in to reply

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The KB is 2724197.

It seems unique is my middle name, lol, well here in the states so is my first name :P

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets run a third check on the MBR and then do a manual install of the update

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application
    Posted Image
  • Then click on Change parameters.

Posted Image
  • Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.
  • Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • Get the report by selecting Reports

Posted Image
  • Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

THEN

Download and try a manual install from here

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,

The scan found 9 suspicious threats, the default was skip for all, I selected contine, and rebooted.

When the system was back up, I viewed the report it didn't have much but I copied it anyway. I decided to do another scan and copy the screen showing the suspicious threats. After the second scan I looked at the report before I rebooted, this report had a lot more information, I copied it, both reports are attached in the one document.

The install of the update was successful.

Attached File  kas rep.pdf   67.16KB   82 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Well I feel that it confirms we are not looking at malware

So lets use another repair tool from my little box of tricks

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the programme then run

Posted Image

Go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
Posted Image

On the start repairs tab click start
Posted Image

Select the following items and tick restart system when finished
Posted Image

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm very glad to know it's not malware.

I have run the windows repair, I don't see any kind of report to share with you.

The message, when opening IE, about the web page accessing information that is not under it scontrol, continues. This error comes up 3 times as the page is loading, but doesn't continue as you are browsing.

As for the updates automatically downloading and installing and not then continuing to run through the same wash, rinse and repeat once they have been installed; i'm not sure how to determine if that has been fixed.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you post a screenshot of the IE warning, I think I know what it is but I would like to be sure

Could you run windows updates to see how it behaves now

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, this is really a mystery.

Attached is screen shots of the error and the updates, note the time at the bottom of the screen shots, they are in sequencial order.

They are the exact same updates that I have been having problems with and we manually installed.

Should we try an IE 9 install, again?

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
oops, forgot to attach the attachment, here you go:

Attached File  updates part 2.zip   896.13KB   103 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you use Visual studio on your system ? If not you can hide that update

Yes try IE9 again and if it generates an error let me know

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's really strange.

All of the updates; they continue to download (i've hidden the initial group, because they indicate they are installed in the history) one at a time, I install and they come back, so I hide them and then the next one will download.

As for IE9, I installed it, it tells me it installed and to reboot, which I did, the desktop icon didn't change in appearance, when I open the program it doesn't look like it changed but it notifies me it has been upgraded, and provided me with a link to the changes, but when I go to "about" it reflects I'm running IE7. Same errors.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you run this MS fixit in aggressive mode
Click "Reset Windows Updates Components " to reveal the Fixit

Then retry windows updates please

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Apologies for the late reply, i worked on this until i had to get ready for work, and I didn't have a chance to work on it last night.

When I download the file from the link, it downloads as a ".diagcab" file which my computer doesn't have a program to open it with, a search of the internet suggest "7 zip", which I downloaded. When it opens the file there are several files and I'm not sure which one runs the "aggressive mode" of the fixit. There is a link to manually fix the update components, when I followed that instruction I got an error and it didn't finish the fixit; sorry no screen shot, I was out of time.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK download the whole fixit centre from Beta News
Install the programme
Then retry the windows updates fixit that you downloaded..

I have this on my system and find it usefull for quick fixes

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Attached is a screen print of the error when attempting to install the fixit center.

I tried to install it directly onto my system, then I downloaded it to my desktop and run it from there, I also disable avast as I was installing. I got the same error on both attempts.

I then disable the firewall, avast and ran it as Administrator, with the same error.

Attached File  fixit error.pdf   177.05KB   103 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK this is giving the old grey matter a good work out :lol:

Download CheckSUR from here to your desktop
Run the tool and it will generate a log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
Could you post that