Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden decrease in performance [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

So if the new RAM doesn't make a change I'll uninstall McAfee and see what happens.

I seem to remember something going on with Windows Defender earlier on... maybe you should try uninstalling McAfee now. You can always re-install it later.

In the meantime

Here are three good antivirus free for personal use:

Here are two good firewalls free for personal use:

Microsoft Security Essentials together with Windows Firewall (which comes with Windows) is probably a good choice for the run of the mill user. This because it is light on resources, it is unobtrusive (it works away in the background without interrupting) and you don't have to be an expert. Firewalls have a habit of flagging suspicious files and asking the user to decide whether to accept the file or not. Often the run of the mill user has no idea about what a particular file does and just says no to everything... down the track they wonder why programs they use regularly suddenly stop working or maybe they try and download something they frequently downloaded in the past but now find they can't.

Note: Do not use more than one anti-virus or firewall. Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

Advertisements

Slash12a

Slash12a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sounds good. I'm uninstalling it now, new RAM is installed and I haven't had a BSOD or anything yet, and the memtest came back all passing, which means that my motherboard is probably good. Nonpaged pool still increasing but hopefully it's just McAfee...

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Looking good. :thumbsup:

Slash12a

Slash12a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Still running fine. Looks like McAfee was the issue with the nonpaged pool. My computer has been running for a couple days and the Nonpaged RAM has actually started decreasing. Everything seems much better with new RAM and the removal of McAfee. I appreciate you sticking with this topic and helping me out as much as you have.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I appreciate you sticking with this topic and helping me out as much as you have.

Your very welcome. :happy:

I will assume that this is solved now. You can always ask for the topic to be re-opened if problems emerge. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.