Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my voltage ok

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Hi,

I would need the input of an expert to tell me if my voltage looks ok.

Here are my specs

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G
Intel Dual Core E6300 - 2.8 mhz
2 x 1gb 800mhz DUAL CHANNEL
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 ti
PSU Corsair TX750
ST3500413ES (Windows 7 Ultimate)
ST3500418AS (Windows XP:)
WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 (storage:)
2 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST

speedfan.JPG

I am suspecting my PSU to be maybe on it's way out and I am no expert on voltage so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Alzeimer...

Your 12v rail is way too low. I suspect you are right about the PSU.

wannabe1

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thanks a lot, i was almost sure but wanted it confirmed first.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just to confirm my voltage I went into the BIOS and these are the numbers I got.

VCORE 1.252V
DDR18V 1.904V
+3.3V 3.296V
+12V 12.239V

What do you make of these numbers compare to the Speedfan ones.

Thanks in advance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If I may chime in while wannabe1 is offline.

Speedfan can sometimes show an anomalous reading but a computer including the PSU are under the least amount of load when you are in the BIOS and so the readings can also be inconclusive, run HWMonitor and see what those results are http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Can I ask what if any computer issues you have been having that have led you to suspect you may have a bad PSU.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Hi and thanks for answering.

hwm.JPG

The reason i was worried is that recently i changed my Video card and it needed a 6pin power outlet (my previous did not) and ever since sometimes when i start my computer I get the message from windows that my HDD where my storage data is as had a delayed write failed (MFT). I checked my hard drive with the manufacturer (WD) bootable test program and everything is A1, I changed the power connection and SATA cable to make sure but it still happens (not often) on startup only that i get that message, usually i just restart and it works fine.

After reading that it sometimes means that the PSU does not give enough power that this issue may occur that i started looking at my voltage. So i tough with the extra power needed by my new video card maybe my PSU was the culprit.

One more note i forgot to add to my specs is that i have 4 x 120mm fans running also.

Thanks in advance for your input

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Your temps and voltages are showing as being fine, see table below for PSU tolerances;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Here it is, take note that I am in my XP setup and that the F: drive is my Windows 7 ( I am dual booting)

disk.JPG

I checked my drive (disk 0 partition G: is where I get the delayed write failed) with the manufacturer tool, i ran CHKDSK/R on it and all came out good.

Edited by Alzeimer, 04 October 2012 - 04:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the wattage rating of your power supply?

From a cold start, that 1TB drive will take quite a bit of power to spin up initially and it may be taxing the power supply a bit too much during the startup.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G
Intel Dual Core E6300 - 2.8 mhz
2 x 1gb 800mhz DUAL CHANNEL
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 ti
PSU Corsair TX750 watt
ST3500413ES (Windows 7 Ultimate)
ST3500418AS (Windows XP:)
WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 (storage:)
2 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST

imageview.php.jpeg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That Corsair should spin that drive up without a problem. Does this issue only occur when doing a cold start, but not when restarting? What happens when you do a full shut down then start it again right away...still get the delayed write error?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The only few ( 4or 5 in last 2 weeks) times it has happened was on a cold start, when it happens I just restart and it always works great after.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Large, multi-platter drives sometimes are a little slow in reaching operating speed as quickly as smaller drives. I'm betting that's the case here. The startup routine is trying to write (modify) the master file table on that drive before it's at speed. Once it's "warmed up" it spins up faster and the writing operations can be accomplished as they should.

I'd say it's a noncritical problem with that drive...and it may resolve itself as the drive's bearings loosen up with age.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thanks for your help,

This issues only started happening after I bought my new video card, i had this drive for about 6 months and the video card 2 weeks.

The video card itself works perfectly, no issues no problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The new video card is drawing it's power from the 12v rail, too. So the drive may not be getting quite as much power at startup as it was before installing the new card. Keep your eye on it, but I think you're fine.