Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fiber optic broadband -- how to connect to my ethernet port?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hey Geeks!

I'm moving into a house tomorrow and they appear to have fibre optic broadband installed (Virgin Media) as the rooms have sockets/ports that look a bit like the old TV satellite plugs (basically like a circle with a 'dot' in the middle) instead of ethernet sockets.

How do I connect from this port to my computer (ie via ethernet/usb...)? The router is located quite far away so I cannot use an ethernet cord from the router and I would prefer not to use a wireless adapter for this same reason (distance and reduced speed).

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,344 posts
  • MVP
Rather an expensive proposition I'm afraid.

Essentially you need an Ethernet to Fiber media converter on each end of the fiber. These are not cheap. Low end ones run about $50 on ebay and will need to be powered from a wall outlet. (You need to know what type of fiber you have and make sure that the converter has the right connectors for your fiber) Then you will need some fiber cables to connect from the wall to the converter. (also not cheap.) If the router is not at the central distribution point for the fiber then you will need some sort of fiber patch system unless it already exists then you just need another pair of connections.

I think you need to just buy a good wireless modem and use WP/WPA2 encryption. Or maybe if the cables are run in plastic conduit you could just tie Cat5e wire to the fiber and pull it back through the conduit.

Ron

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Rather an expensive proposition I'm afraid.

Essentially you need an Ethernet to Fiber media converter on each end of the fiber. These are not cheap. Low end ones run about $50 on ebay and will need to be powered from a wall outlet. (You need to know what type of fiber you have and make sure that the converter has the right connectors for your fiber) Then you will need some fiber cables to connect from the wall to the converter. (also not cheap.) If the router is not at the central distribution point for the fiber then you will need some sort of fiber patch system unless it already exists then you just need another pair of connections.

I think you need to just buy a good wireless modem and use WP/WPA2 encryption. Or maybe if the cables are run in plastic conduit you could just tie Cat5e wire to the fiber and pull it back through the conduit.

Ron

Argh, how can something - which must be a reasonably common request - be so inconvenient/expensive? It figures, though, since Google wasn't being of much help (hence why I posted on here).

I guess I'll have to do that, then.

Thanks a lot for the info, Ron!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you actually certain that there is fiber in the rooms? that seems.......unlikely at best. are you certain it's not a coaxial cable jack? if anything i'd imagine that would be the jack where you would plug in your modem. there aren't any providers that i can think of that would supply fiber to a home and expect you to plug your computer directly into the fiber connection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree especially since fiber optic is more expensive then standard digital internet. I know just to get fiber optic to my house would cost me 2 grand and then the monthly is just crazy what they want. I will wait till they change all the cable line over to fiber optic first.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Dominic, I am in TW2 area & have Virgin cable broadband. The outlets you describe are what I have used as an upstairs extension for my router. I have connected the outlet to a cable which has a plug on the other end which plugs into the Virgin terminal box ( where your router is pluged in ). It seems unlikely that they are broadband, more like sat, tv outlets as they are in several rooms. Check if your router is the only connection to the Vigin terminal. A pic of the incoming terminal & router connection would be helpfull.