Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eliminating attempted install at bootup-how?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I keep getting an update that tries to install once the windows desktop appears. I tried to install it and it says it cannot be installed. I then cancel it after closing several popup windows and I am all right until the next time I boot up. It is an HP SolutionCenter install. Both my computer and printer are HP. How can I get rid of this, please?

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
At this point, I suggest deleting all HP printer drivers (you can try add/remove programs in Control Panel) and then use your driver disk that came with the printer to reinstall the drivers. Follow the steps in the user's manual, some of these printers get fussy about how the drivers are installed. Usually these installers have an "advanced" or "custom" selection so use that, not the "recommended" automatic install. If there is an option to automatically search for updates and install, then at that time disable it. Either you have an update .exe already installed on your system, or your HP program is accessing the internet and trying to download/install an update. Evidently a lot of HP owners are having this problem and there seems to be no clear, single solution for it.