Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Hard Drive Failure?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The Toshiba is faster but the Samsung has a larger storage capacity so it depends which is the more important factor to you.

Note that the Samsung is an OEM device which means the warranty is not provided by Samsung themselves but by the retailer which in this case is amazon, these warranties are typically shorter and offer a lesser cover, hence why the cost is what it is.

Advertisements

WindowsLaptopGuy

WindowsLaptopGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Unfortunately my budget does not allow for an SSD at the moment.

Would you guys recommend a 7200rpm over a 5400 with larger capacity?

The thing is I don't know how many platters the drives have :-(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Unfortunately my budget does not allow for an SSD at the moment.
No worries as this for me is not financially viable for a notebook that does not have a second storage device.

Would you guys recommend a 7200rpm over a 5400 with larger capacity?
Yes but as I said earlier you must decide if the faster HDD that has the smaller 500GB storage capacity will be enough for you, you know your usage but we do not, if your budget will allow it http://www.scan.co.u...-16mb-cache-4ms

The thing is I don't know how many platters the drives have :-(
Do not overly concern yourself with this as it is irrelevant to the average user, you want a HDD that works - unless you are particularly interested in what a HDD is made up of