Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not acknowledging AC power plug

• Please log in to reply

powed

powed

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have an ASUS N53S laptop running Windows 7. It is plugged in to AC power, green light on power pack is on, but the computer is not acknowledging the AC power and the battery is about to run out. It was off and plugged in all night, so I was surprised to see low battery alert when turned on this a.m.

I have tried shutting down and restarting, unplugging from wall for over 1 minute, looking for settings that might tell it to run on battery only (can't find any). I run ESET NOD32 antivirus, which is up to date, so I'm hoping nothing got through.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello powed

Before the battery runs out completely try shutting down the computer, removing the battery and see if the notebook will power up when only the AC adaptor is connected and powered on.

Let us know the results when you are able to.

powed

powed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No response when attempt to power on with AC plug and no battery. It is as though it has no awareness of the AC plug.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You may have a bad power jack on the notebook but before checking this there is one further test for you to try, the attached link will help with this and if you do need to check the power jack, can you again remove the battery, AC adaptor cord + this time the Ram also, see http://www.insidemyl...-dc-power-jack/ once you have done this hold down the power button for a while to dispel any static charge that may have built up in the system, reassemble the computer and see how it goes.

powed

powed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It looks like it is the power jack, if I wiggle and hold the plug just right (while sticking my tongue out and crossing my eyes just right), I can get it to start charging. If I can prop it up this way long enough to get it charged a bit, I'll pull up my sales documentation (and save it to an external source). It may still be under warranty and I'll have it repaired under that. If not still under warranty, I'll use your link to repair myself or at least know what I need when I call around for repair estimates.

Thank you for your help. I think this case can be considered closed, just have to do the physical repair.

As always, very pleased with the quality of help I find here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

It is good to see you so positive as others may have been downhearted when finding the power jack was faulty.

Please do let us know how the repair goes, if you do it yourself and post the details here it may help others with the same issue.

Whatever you decide good luck and you are most welcome BTW :thumbsup: