Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow, some links do not work, hard drive always running, more.... [Sol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No Change after that. If we have a shot with other things great, but is it time to clean tools (I am assuming the log showed no bad), watch it a bit, then decide to live with it, or, back up and reload the os? Not that I feel real sure that would fix it. Totally up to you, lot of time in this which I sincerely appreciate.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
With win 7 you can do a repair install which will replace all the windows files only. Preserving all other files

There is a tutorial here have a look and see what you think

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
That will be for the weekend.

Alternatively it seems to be possible to force an install of SP1, and the tuturial seems to say that it's better to have SP1 on the thing. Do you like the idea of going to the site and getting it and see what happens first?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes a force install of SP1 may..just may resolve some of the problems SP1 can be found here

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm going to do this later today and will advise

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:thumbsup:

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Installed. Manually checked for updates and installed quite a few in 2 batches. No change.

I guess I'll try the repair thing in a bit

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry about that but MS is about as useful as a chocolate teapot with that error code

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok I have read thru the tuturial on the 'repair' and do not know if I want to do this. I see chances for difficult-to-resolve issues. I have a os disc "reinstallation DVD" that was in a sealed envelop. I guess that is the one I need. I do not have any COA sticker on this Dell laptop anywhere but I guess this long number on the envelop seal is the one needed. Or I hope. This disk is pre-SP1. the tuturial is a bit confusing, do I do use the disc, download stuff, both?

I'm inclined to use it, watch it, and remember to check for updates here and there, and reboot it every couple days. I do financial etc on this, have for years, and never any issue. So I trust it.

Ever wonder why people buy Macs, well, this is a great example.

I did reload an xp machine once, a work PC, in a way the data remained, and it was all quite easy. A few years back so it's hazy. The 'geek' at work would typically do this but was swampped, handed me the disc, told me what to chose, and said let me know how it goes.

My next couple months are going to be extremely tight and I will need this thing working, and I am already faced with a slew of things to complete before that madness begins.

What do you think?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

I have a os disc "reinstallation DVD" that was in a sealed envelop

. Use that one as it will have all the necessary drivers

I guess this long number on the envelop seal is the one needed. Or I hope. This disk is pre-SP1.

You will need to download all updates but do them in batches, the newest first as that will reduce the numbers. That is the COA

I did reload an xp machine once, a work PC, in a way the data remained, and it was all quite easy.

That was a repair install similar to the upgrade that you tried

Advertisements

SteveMAtlBch

SteveMAtlBch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, seems you are saying stick in the disc, chose repair, and just go with what it says. I will do this on the coming weekend.

And will let you know, thanks!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:thumbsup:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.