Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

epower Tray not responding

• Please log in to reply

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,990 posts
Hello again isaacevanava,

Also, I couldn't get the OTL link that you pasted to open.

If you are referring to my last post, there isn't a link there. Maybe you have mistaken the red OTL.exe for a link. It's a matter of following the instruction to run OTL and click on the CleanUp button. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the epower tray issue. I'm not really for sure what it even is.

I understand epower tray is part of a power management utility found on some Acer and Packard Bell computers. It's up to the owner as to whether they use it.

I found this quote from Glarysoft

"The ePowerTray.exe process is not an essential file to the computer system performance. Disabling it or enabling it depends on whether you use Acer Power Management or not."

Originally, when I called Acer, they wanted me do reinstall my OS. I thought that sounded a little HARSH as they hadn't even checked anything else out before they suggested it (which is what brought me here).

Yes, if you are not using it there is no reason to do a reinstall. My thought is that uninstalling it might be the simplest option for you. You should be able to go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall it.

I guess I'm asking for a little guidance on trying to figure out from their website which application I should try to reinstall.

I don't use Acer but my guess would be that you need to use the link I provided then click on Driver Download after that enter the model name of you Acer (up the top) and in the other panel the serial number. Alternatively you can use Or select a product category to find your model etc. You should then be directed to a page that has the appropriate software for you machine. Having said that I think it's strange that Acer support didn't direct you to do that already. Maybe it doesn't work for your one...

And, my son was playing his games online (via facebook) and the system just shut down.

Was it connected to the power? Maybe the battery was used up.

Advertisements

isaacevanava

isaacevanava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, thanks for that clarification, I'll try uninstalling epower tray.

but the shutdown issue happens both when the laptop is plugged in and not, so I don't think it's a battery issue.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,990 posts

but the shutdown issue happens both when the laptop is plugged in and not, so I don't think it's a battery issue.

Hmm... is the machine getting overheated do you think?

See the link below:

http://www.ehow.com/...ted-laptop.html

isaacevanava

isaacevanava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
i've wondered about that because it sometimes feels really hot on the bottom.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,990 posts
Here is another link that has some more information:

http://mobileoffice....overheating.htm

You might check that when the laptop is in use it is in a place where air can circulate.

Does it slow up as it heats up? See how it goes once it is cooled down.

Using it for long periods to play games would be a likely reason for it heating up.

The answer might be just running it where air can circulate easily or maybe giving it a rest now and then. :)