Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe Virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Oh and I noticed the "threats" and my computer restarting without me telling it to along with my mouse being "turned off" and all that stuff

Is any of that happening now?

Advertisements

AustinJG

AustinJG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Oh and I noticed the "threats" and my computer restarting without me telling it to along with my mouse being "turned off" and all that stuff

Is any of that happening now?

no but I do notice there are a lot of svchost processes running which weren't there before...I do recall "lagging" on some of my games even when no one else was online in my household. I normally go 60-80ping in eastern servers and 100-120 in western servers (NA) but I've been sitting around 140 at times and other times I've been sitting around 200-215ping. I'm not sure if its because theres something trying to update in the background because I did do a factory reset and also my avast won't work at all yet theres a process running of avast named AvastSvc.exe*32 which I can not close, maybe thats lagging me I'm unsure. Another thing I noticed, everytime I restart my computer, when its going into my desktop it takes much much longer than it use to. I could be because I updated my Razer Mouse thing and i need to change start up programs..unsure

Edit: uninstalled avast, fixed a few startup things...i believe its running fine right now but the only thing i'm wondering about is the svchost processes. before all of this i did not have these

Edited by AustinJG, 08 October 2012 - 09:52 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again AustinJG,

i believe its running fine right now but the only thing i'm wondering about is the svchost processes.

Have you read the link I gave you at post #4?

This link

It's normal to have multiple instances of svchost.exe running.

Now

I think your machine is clean.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Please go here for directions on how to do this. You need to turn System Protection off to delete all old restore points, reboot and then turn System Protection back on to create a new restore point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if unistalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* Consider using an alternate browser.

Opera may be downloaded from here. It is one of the least targeted of all browers.

Avant may be downloaded from here. Another one that is less well known.

Chrome may be downloaded from here . One of the most used nowadays.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here. I use Firefox because I like it. Used to be one of the safest but now targeted probably as much as IE.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.

NoSript by Giorgio Maone is another one to add to your protection.

No scripts is an excellant security device. I like it but it is not for everyone because it requires you to take action if you want to see some things (pop ups, banners etc.) on sites you visit.

Further, sometimes you will get a site telling you that you need to install Java when actually all you need to do is enable the site through the no script icon down on the right hand side of your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

AustinJG

AustinJG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello again AustinJG,

i believe its running fine right now but the only thing i'm wondering about is the svchost processes.

Have you read the link I gave you at post #4?

This link

It's normal to have multiple instances of svchost.exe running.

Now

I think your machine is clean.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Please go here for directions on how to do this. You need to turn System Protection off to delete all old restore points, reboot and then turn System Protection back on to create a new restore point.

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if unistalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* Consider using an alternate browser.

Opera may be downloaded from here. It is one of the least targeted of all browers.

Avant may be downloaded from here. Another one that is less well known.

Chrome may be downloaded from here . One of the most used nowadays.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here. I use Firefox because I like it. Used to be one of the safest but now targeted probably as much as IE.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.

NoSript by Giorgio Maone is another one to add to your protection.

No scripts is an excellant security device. I like it but it is not for everyone because it requires you to take action if you want to see some things (pop ups, banners etc.) on sites you visit.

Further, sometimes you will get a site telling you that you need to install Java when actually all you need to do is enable the site through the no script icon down on the right hand side of your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Alright thank you soo much for all of the help, if I should have anymore problems like this, should I just create a new thread?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

should I just create a new thread?

Yep.

Alright thank you soo much for all of the help

You are very welcome Posted Image

I will leave this topic open for a few days just in case any issues arise.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.