Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Adaptor Drivers

• Please log in to reply

northeaster

northeaster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Good afternoon - if someone can help it will save me a wasted day returning this desktop to the store!

I'm trying to install the drivers for a wireless network adaptor - realtek RTL8192CU. When I try to install from the disc, I get 'runtime error - abnormal programme termination and lots of numbers and things. I have tried to download it from the realtek site to a flash drive from the laptop and install directly from there or copy it over to a folder on the dektop and run it from there. No joy at all. It installs but half way through I get the message 'device drivers were not succesfully installed'. The programme keeps running and reboots the PC. Then when I check device manager-proprties I see 'WIndows cannot initialise the device driver for the hardware (code 37).

I know it's not an expensive piece of kit, it's just nuisance value as I live way out in the middle of nowhere and it's a full day out to go back to the store!

I should mention I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

Edited by northeaster, 08 October 2012 - 06:15 AM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Can you hook the machine up via ethernet cable?If so plug the device in and download install Driver max see if it will detect and install the driver for you.When you download and install drivermax un-tick the optional toolbar that comes with it.
http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

northeaster

northeaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that, will give it a go tonight and see what happens.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes.

northeaster

northeaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, sort of worked. Installed driver max, found the drivers, installed them but still got the drivers not initialised error.

So - I reinstalled windows and it now works!

So thanks for that - and up and running again so alls well that ends well.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

So - I reinstalled windows and it now works!

That usually tends to fix issues. :thumbsup:

Have a good night thanks for letting us know.