Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal WHEN installing WIN7

• Please log in to reply

danielmac

danielmac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello world!

I'm a new user of geekstogo only because after browsing several threads on the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error no case seemed similar to mine.
SO HERE'S THE BACKGROUND OF THE STORY:

Two days ago I was determined to reinstall my OS, not before visiting some young cousins of mine who begged me to copy some games from my laptop on a flash drive, in order to put the stuff in their computer. Just as I plugged the drive into the USB port, I got a BSOD. I didn't really read it and I assumed my computer must've been screwy, given the fact it's been so overused lately. I neglected the incident and went on with my day. In the evening I decided the PC works too screwy, several browser crashes, flash player errors, even the Steam app terminating suddently. So i turned it off, prepared my Windows 7 installation disk and started the installation process.

I formatted my C drive and begun the installation. It all went well right until the end, when an error message popped up, something with werfault.exe and Microsoft mail. Luckily, there was a skip button, so I skipped the error and the OS continued installing just fine. However, once Windows runs, I got error popups no matter what application I tried to run, be it Windows Media Player, IE or even the sound mixer. The major problem is that when I tried to install the drivers for the computer, some seemed to work, some didn't. I had them (the drivers) downloaded from the Toshiba website, from another computer. On mine, obviously, the Internet didn't work. In addition, I noticed that I could install the LAN driver, but the Wireless one no. The installed wouldn't start, no matter how many times I tried to run it. Sometimes clicking the exe wouldn't do anything, sometimes it would popup a werfault error msg.

SO I formatted the hard disk completely, created 2 partitions again and tried installing Windows 7 on one of them. This time I would get the "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" bluescreen DURING the installation process. In other words, I can't get to install the OS on it again. I tried with an older Windows XP SP2, I tried with a friend's copy of Windows Ultimate, it did not work.

I see that most people tend to blame this on the RAM, however, last time when I managed to get Windows 7 (professional) to work on it, even if it worked with so many errors, checking the PC proprieties revealed that all 6Gb of RAM were there, fine and dandy. The CPU was ok too and so was the HDD. So what could it be?

My main problem is that I do not know if to file this as a hardware problem or a software problem. In other words, if to try and get a copy of Linux on it or if to pull out the HDD and try to work on it from a different laptop to see what's going on? Any suggestions?

Just minutes ago I tried to install Windows Vista on it, from the Vista CD that came with my older laptop. The BSOD error message said "Memory_Management" and the error code was 0xC0000005. Can anyone figure this out? WHat should I do?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P745-S41217, if it helps. Intel 5 processor, 6 Gb of RAM, 500Gb HDD. It came with a copy of Windows 7 Professional

Advertisements

danielmac

danielmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
UPDATE: I have tried starting the computer with only 1 RAM memory on at a time and it still didn't help. I think it's related to the HDD. Could it be that it got infected with some sort of virus that messed it up so bad that now it needs to be set as slave in another PC and fixed that way somehow?