Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway ma3 laptop booting? negative.....

• Please log in to reply

cyoung2009

cyoung2009

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Gateway:laptop. Model: MA3-6460. Unfortunately this laptop is out of warranty by a few years. It ran great until a few months ago. I shut it down one night like normal. I went to boot the next morning and the power came on and I could hear the fan, but nothing on the screen. 15 seconds later it shuts down, then boots back up repeating the same process. never actually booting up. I tried a different power supply, I tried changing out the hard drive, i tried re-seating the memory then changing out the memory. I replaced the motherboard battery. Not really sure what could be the problem or where to start. Any Idea's? Its a dual core processor (AMD). and 2 gigs of ram. windows vista. If even of that matters.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: cyoung2009

Have you or can you try connecting to an external screen using the VGA port to see if you at any time get a display such as the BIOS screen.

Remove the battery, AC adaptor cord + the Ram also, once you have done this hold down the power button for a while to dispel any static charge that may have built up in the system, if you have two sticks of Ram try one at a time to begin with, reassemble the computer and see how it goes, let us know the results when you are able.

cyoung2009

cyoung2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried plugging into VGA display. nothing comes up. when you push the power button lights come on, you can hear the processor and fan, then 10-15seconds later it shuts off and starts again. It repeats these steps but nothing comes up on screen. I tried the static discharge when didnt do anything so far. I tried one memory module at a time and also tried different memory and different HD. replaced the on board battery as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
This does not look good for the MB, it is possible that the video chip has failed or there is a short circuit, is the AC power jack secure.

cyoung2009

cyoung2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it is secure. It does not wiggle. The power adapter was also tried on another gateway and works fine So I'm certain its providing proper power to the computer. I tested the A/c adapter and its getting proper voltage.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I`m afraid that I can only suggest one other thing now and that is to check the cooling fan, see from page 31 onwards @ http://support.gatew...ile/8511180.pdf other than this I can only suggest that the notebook is checked out by a local tech store.