Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it possible to run faster than recommended memory on my PC?

• Please log in to reply

steelmakerZ

steelmakerZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Presario that I have a question on. HP says the fastest Memory I can use is PC-4200 (533 Mhz) But my PC is currently running PC2-5300...but only at 333 Mhz. Now the other stick I am running on here is a 512 mb PC2-4300 (266 Mhz) stick. I am wondering if I put 2 Brand-new same brand 1 gig sticks in there that are PC2-5300 then it will run those sticks at their proper speed (667 Mhz)?

PC STATS:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820 2.8 Ghz dual core ( with an aftermarket 120mm fan on it)

Motherboard: ECS Alhena5 version 1.0, ATI RC415 chipset, ATI SB600 southbridge.

MEMORY: Kingston 1gb PC2-5300 (333 Mhz), Hyundai Electronics 512mb PC2-4300 (266Mhz)

Hard drive: Maxtor something...either a 5400 or 7200 prm idk

GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 460 1gb factory overclocked.

Coolermaster 500w power supply

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday steelmakerZ, Posted Image

Go to the link below and run the memory scanner. You do not have to buy from the site, you can by a different brand providing it matches the specs.
Let us know the result is.
> http://www.crucial.c...nner/index.aspx

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Generally memory clocks itself down to the lowest clock in it from what i understand. Using different clock speed ram at different sizes will bog down your pc more then it will speed it up. Its best to buy memory in pairs if possible and use them together (same brand speed and size).

steelmakerZ

steelmakerZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you guys for the info. I will run the scanner and if it shows I can only run PC2-4200 then I will go ahead and stick with it so it won't bog down my system. Makes a whole lot of sense now. :happy:

:EDIT: Thanks guys! now I know the max speed of this compaq is definitely PC2-5300(667Mhz) I already rushed and bought 533 Mhz memory but It will be a huge difference compared to the previous setup which was some cheap-o memory that was PC2-4200 but it was only rated at 444 Mhz and performed at 266 Mhz. The other stick was Kingston in the PC2-5300 format but it ran at 333 Mhz even after I pulled out the 512 stick. So I guess when I put in these sticks I got off of newegg that it will run at a proper 533 Mhz and be a massive difference ( Mhz will increase and total memory will be maxed out for this machine) Thanks again! :lol:

Edited by steelmakerZ, 10 October 2012 - 10:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Your welcome.

Remember when working on the computer and handling parts, turn off the power supply, take anti static measures by touching a bare unpainted part of the computer case.
Check that the RAM is properly seated. Check in the BIOS the RAM is recognized and running at the correct speed and voltage.

Please let us know the results.