Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Ahmedk

Ahmedk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I own an HP Pavillion P6674y it has an AMD Phenom II X4 820 Processor, it has 6 gb of ram and a Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. I believe the wattage for my computer is 250 Watts which will limit my choices. I will be upgrading my power supply but i do not know which ones will be compatible with my computer so which power supply should i get? I am also thinking about getting an AMD Radeon HD 6450. Will this graphics card be good for playing games such as Borderlands, Skyrim, COD, etc? Thanks for the help :)

Advertisements

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hiya and welcome. first off a psu is just like a computer case they are both universal with almost all builds and it comes down to quality personal preference as well as what you need from it. Funny thing is i have that exact same card :lol: But i have not tried those games so sadly can not tell you how well the 6450 works with them. Although i do hope to get skyrim some time soon. The 6450 is not a bad card but if you can get a better psu your options for a better gpu increase dramatically. I had to get the 6450 as my mobo pci express is a first generation and a 1.0 version. Which means i was lucky that the 6450 even worked with my mobo as some 1.0 express are not compatible with 2.0 or 2.1 pci express.

But i doubt we will run into that with your system. but providing the info for others in case they see this and they find out their pci express is a first generation. if you can give us a rough budget of the max cash you canpay to get the new psu and gpu we may be able to get you the best bang for your buck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: Ahmedk

Sorry to say that the HD6450 is far from a gaming card and that it is better suited to general computer use such as web browsing, school or office work or in a media centre, this is down to the cards low spec such as being only 32 or 64-bit interface, a 256-bit card would suit your needs better but aim for 192-bit as a minimum, an example card http://us.ncix.com/p...anufacture=eVGA note that this card requires two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles from the PSU.

Some additional information for you, you must ensure that you have a PSU (power supply unit) that is capable of providing adequate clean and stable power and any supplemental power cable that some add on video cards require, there are other things that need to be considered when upgrading hardware such as the room available in the case and the size and shape of the PSU in some instances, before making any purchase I suggest that you check the available room inside your case for an add on video card and measure the dimensions of the PSU so you can do a comparison with any potential purchase, common PSU dimensions are 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 5.5"(L)