Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitor help please

• Please log in to reply

loanman

loanman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I have an Emachine T5088 and would like to have dual monitors. What is the best way for me to do this? It looks like I have a second monitor jack on the back of the computer, but I am reading that I may need a video card. Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: loanman

Having checked the computer specs the data that I found suggests that the computer was supplied with no add on video card and used the MBs Integrated video chip which is the Intel GMA 950 graphics type, that said the MB has 1 x PCI-Express (PCI-E x16) slot available and so it is possible that an add on video card was fitted when supplied or has been added since - only you will be able to confirm this, see below;

Have you had the computer since it was new.
Do you have any paperwork that was originally provided for the computer.
What suggests to you that there is a second video port at the rear of the computer.

Some additional information for you, to have the same display across two screens you will need to have a suitable video card with the appropriate type of ports that the screens require such as DVI or HDMI for example + you must ensure that you have a PSU (power supply unit) that is capable of providing adequate clean and stable power and any supplemental power cable that some add on video cards require, there are other things that need to be considered when upgrading hardware such as the room available in the case and the size and shape of the PSU in some instances.

I hope that the above helps, provide us with the requested information and we will check what your options are.

loanman

loanman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply, answers are below:

Have you had the computer since it was new. Yes
Do you have any paperwork that was originally provided for the computer. No
What suggests to you that there is a second video port at the rear of the computer? Directly above the video port that my monitor is plugged into is another one that looks identical.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

If you have two ports that both look the same as the one in the attached image below it means that you have an add on video card fitted;

loanman

loanman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. After looking at it further, its not a video port, its a serial port :(. Can you tell me specifically what I need to buy to have dual monitors?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the reply. After looking at it further, its not a video port, its a serial port :(. Can you tell me specifically what I need to buy to have dual monitors?

Thanks again!

From my reply #2

Some additional information for you, to have the same display across two screens you will need to have a suitable video card with the appropriate type of ports that the screens require such as DVI or HDMI for example + you must ensure that you have a PSU (power supply unit) that is capable of providing adequate clean and stable power and any supplemental power cable that some add on video cards require, there are other things that need to be considered when upgrading hardware such as the room available in the case and the size and shape of the PSU in some instances.

Hope this clears things up for you but if not ask however many questions that you feel you need to.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: